Questions on Deer Hunting Regulations

February 19, 2009 by  

By Doug Leier

Think smart when buck fever hits you

Think smart when buck fever hits you

When the 2006 deer gun season opens at noon Nov. 10, the North Dakota Game and Fish Department will have issued a near-record number of licenses. That means a lot of hunters in the field, and many questions from people who want to clarify rules prior to or during hunting season.

Some common questions are listed below. Hunters with further questions are encouraged to call the department at 701-328-6300, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. weekdays; or send an email to [email protected]

What licenses do I need for deer gun season? A fishing, hunting, and furbearer certificate, the general game and habitat stamp or a combination license, and the deer license. Gratis license holders need only the gratis license.

What are the season dates and shooting hours? Deer season statewide opens Nov. 10 at noon Central time (11 a.m. Mountain time) and runs through Nov. 26. Shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, except opening day.

Dont venture outdoors this weekend without orange

Don't venture outdoors this weekend without orange

Can I use my first season license during the muzzle-loader season? No. The first season license may be used only for the regular deer gun season.

When can I use a second season license? Hunters can use additional doe licenses during the archery season with a bow; the deer gun season with a bow, rifle, or muzzle-loader; or during the muzzle-loader season with a muzzle-loader. These licenses must be used for antlerless deer only, and hunters must stay in the unit to which the license is assigned.

I can’t find my deer license. What should I do? Deer hunters in need of a replacement license can print out a duplicate (replacement) license application from the game and fish website,, or can call 701-328-6300 to have an application mailed or faxed. County auditors also have copies of this form. The application must be completely filled out and notorized, and sent back in to the department with a fee. You may not hunt without the license and tag in your possession.

There will be an abundance of doe tags again this year

There will be an abundance of doe tags again this year

My son was unsuccessful in filling his mule deer buck tag in the youth season. Can he hunt the regular gun season? Yes. But he is restricted to the same unit as during the youth season.

Is camouflage blaze orange acceptable for the deer gun season? No. You must wear both a hat and outer garment above the waistline totaling at least 400 square inches of solid daylight fluorescent orange.

I hunt with a bow. When do I have to wear orange? During the regular deer gun season you must wear orange. During the muzzle-loader season, however, bowhunters do not need to wear orange.

Can I hunt road rights of way? Do not hunt on road rights of way unless you are certain they are open to public use. Most road rights of ways are under control of the adjacent landowner and are closed to hunting when the adjacent land is posted closed to hunting.

Can I hunt on a section line if it is posted on both sides? No. If the land is posted on both sides, the section line is closed to hunting, but is still open for travel.

Can I transport someone else’s deer? Yes, but you will need a permit from a game warden. The license holder, person transporting the animal, and the carcass must be presented to the game warden before the permit is issued.

Can I drive off a trail to retrieve a deer on a state wildlife management area? No. You may not drive off-trail on state wildlife management areas, national wildlife refuges, waterfowl production areas, or state school land. In addition, a travel policy confines most motorized vehicles (except snowmobiles) to existing roads and trails on all U.S. Forest Service public land in North Dakota, including the Little Missouri, Sheyenne and Cedar River national grasslands.

How do I carry a muzzle-loader in a vehicle when hunting? Remove the cap from a percussion gun or the powder from the flash pan of a flintlock.

Can I use a bow to fill my regular deer gun tag? Yes. You may use any legal weapon during the regular deer gun season.

Are muzzle-loading handguns legal for deer hunting? Yes. They must be .50 caliber or larger.

Are the .22-250 and .243 legal for deer hunting? Yes. Center-fire rifles of .22 caliber or larger are legal.


Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

Human Verification: In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.