North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a thread about the worst shot you have ever seen might be good for a few laughs. I know I have seen and fired more than my fair share. Here is a story you might get a kick out of-

My buddy and I are out puddle jumping and drive by a small pond on my brothers land that NEVER has any ducks in it and low and behold there are at least 50 big drake mallards sitting in it. We park the truck and belly crawl through the weeds for about 75 yards to get within shooting range, jump up and less than 20 feet away all of these big drake mallards jump at once. We both unload our guns, six shots total and down comes one duck! These birds got up so close together that I swear you could have hip shot and got 3 for 3 but somehow we managed only one duck. I didn't even see another feather get knocked off in the volley. So we grab the waders, struggle through the 2 feet or so of muck and pick up our lone bird and its a friggen' hen! Neither of us even saw a hen and were 100% positive that every duck in that pond was a drake mallard. So not only did we completely whiff on 5 shots at point blank range, the one load that found a home hit the only hen in the pack.

Well, fast forward about 8 years to last week. I get a call from my same buddy saying that the same pond again has a bunch of mallards on it. I tell him to go ahead and give it a whirl so him and his son repeat the process from 8 years ago, crawling through the weeds. They jump up, empty their guns and again down comes one duck! At least this time it was a drake but we have since decided that these are the most elusive ducks in the state and vowed to no longer waste the shells trying to jump this little pothole. It is now a mallard sanctuary!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Good story. I am still considering telling my bad shot story. Not as brave as you though. I'll wait to see if anyone else shares their stories first.
:roll:

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I have two.
First ones not really bad shots, just bad luck on my part.
Many moons ago myself and some buds were goose hunting. Ended up having a great morning, limited on darks, got a few ducks, and had a dozen or so snows.
There was three of us hunting that morning, my one buddy managed to pick a specklebelly out of a flock of lessers, which for our area is VERY rare in the fall. My other buddy, shot what he thought was a straggler juvy blue out of a small flock of snows, only to find it was a black brant, and it was banded.
Later that afternoon, while scouting we spotted three gorgeous drake mallards in a coulee tucked up real tight to the steep bank. An easy sneak. As we approached the bank, i told the buddy on the left to shoot the left bird, the guy on the right to shoot the right, and id take the middle.
Well, we came over the bank, the birds flushed, boom boom boom, all three fell. Lefty had a band, righty had a band, middle bird had shiat.

Fast foward to this year, second weekend of regular season. Three specks come in low and hard off the left side of the firing line, im on the far left, they were to low even for my buddy to get a safe shot as I was in the way. I pop up, easy, 20 yard shot right? Boom boom boom, never touched one. Didnt have my head down as I was flabergasted at seeing specks for the second time in the fall.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
bum luck bareback.
Hard to pick just one story but here it goes. It was my first duck hunt a few years back. My buddy, Whop, invites me to come duck hunting with him and a friend of his, Emery.
Its a nice overcast day and the wind just right. The three of us get all our gear in the boat, with the dog and start heading out to the channel, when Whop realizes he left his ammo bag in the back of the truck, so we turn back to shore I toss him the keys and he runs to get his bag out of the truck. We once again head out towards the blind giving him gears the whole way there. Get to the blind, set up and I pull my BPS out of its pouch and ask for my keys back from Whop, so I could take my trigger lock off. He looks at me and tells me he left the keys at my truck.$#%$ Emery, just shaking his head offers me his gun and says he will just call that morning. I know he was cursing the new broad in his head but he was nice enough not to say anything.
Feeling like a total arse I took his gun and we settle in the blind waiting for the fun to begin. Doesn't the wind decide to totally die and the sun come out shining and hot from behind the clouds...nothing flyin! Then we all see it, just across the channel but taking a look at the dekes..a lone bird. Emery works the call and the bird was sold quickly. Whop and I ready, than the Drake mallard cups and heads for a spot right in front of Whop he takes the shot, then a second shot..than a third shot!! The friggin duck seemed to be just hanging there mid-air than headed towards me!! One shot - flipped em arse over tea-kettle feathers fallin' AND the bugger righted himself and flew AWAY!! The three of us sat in silence as he headed back out over the channel from where he had come. THEN, the dang bird turned and flew right back at us, he didn't cup to land, nothing. Just head out, full speed right at us....I shot em.....he died that time. Landed in a shower of feathers right in the blind. Dang funny if you had been there!! The imfamous armour plated, kamikazee mallard!

·
Registered
136 Posts
just ducky said:
yeah but you broke a cardinal rule....roost busting :ticked:
hahahahhahaha i just read another post you wrote that said you shot and saw a normal amount of redheads. thats funny i dont see many redheads in the fields. talk about jumping on the band wagon. :roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why's roost busting got to be a MN thing? I've been to ND a few times and you can't tell if you shoot at some ducks on a so called "roost" that they won't fly to the next million potholes scattered all over ND. So get over this whole roost busting because if you play it right and don't overhunt the one of a million roosts you shouldn't affect it at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts