North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the St John Woodchucks take care off the defending state champs Mott-Regent in the 9man playoffs. I can tell you with wide eyes that this is hands down the fastest back field I have ever seen in any divison of football in ND. It seems like they have a never ending group of back that are like 160 lbs and running 4.4 40's. If I could put money on them in vegas I would....State Champs in 9 man easy :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I think (hope) he was exaggerating??!! No one in high school is running a 4.4 40 in ND...........Unless he is being chased by a mountain lion. :lol:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
the guys chasing them were probably running 5.7 40's. You look pretty fast then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lost: Of course I have no idea what there actual 40 times are it is highschool football for crying out loud. I just know that the fastest 6 or 7 guys on the field were on the same side of the ball.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Elkoholic said:
:lost: Of course I have no idea what there actual 40 times are it is highschool football for crying out loud. I just know that the fastest 6 or 7 guys on the field were on the same side of the ball.
I kinda figured that was the case! I always laugh when guys come in from high school football and say ahh I ran such and such time.... when they put there finger on the time starter thing and run through they are always like ahh well Im tired! :lol:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
When I was playing football at NDSU we had 3 freshman run the 40 YD under 4.4. 2 of which were from Bismark. They were the Dietrich twins and man could they fly! The other was Courtney Samuel from Colorado. Courtney actually ran it in 4.2!
I ran it in 4.6 my freshman year. If I ran it today it would take a day and a half!

·
Registered
372 Posts
a win is a win...even though they got lucky Sat! One of the best HS games I've ever seen & what a last few minutes!

:beer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
could not have said it any better. Hats off to RTH they played great. The best highschool game I have ever seen. I dont think SJ would have won if the would not have out hit RTH. RTH was a bigger team that was diciplined enough to not let SJ beat them eith there speed. But the fact that RTH had drives stall because key players got shaken up with big hits on numerus plays was the difference. Not to mention SJ won the all important turnover battle. :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I had a defensive ends that i faced in college that ran 4.6's. now if you don't know anything about 40 times that really fricken fast considering they were also 250lbs. My coach always said going against them though, they still have to go around you and even if you don't get a hand on them that takes awhile :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
the truth in 40 times. Now i'm not saying anyone is lying, but a 4.4 40 is flying for anyone.

the fastest player in last years draft class was chris johnson and he ran a 4.24 and was only one of 3rb's at the nfl combine to run under 4.42. Only 12 rb's total ran under a 4.5

Desean jackson of the eagles and donny avery of the rams are widely considered extremely fast wide recvr's. Last year at the combine jackson ran a 4.35 and avery a 4.40. Only 6 wr's there ran under a 4.4 and only 24 ran under a 4.5.

At DE only 1 ran under a 4.6 and he was 4.57. The #2 pick in the 2008 nfl draft, chris long, ran a 4.75 at the nfl combine. Good for the 7th fastest 40 time for a DE.

One way or the other i don't care, but i thought it would be interesting to look at a few of the fastest players that entered the nfl this year.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
fishhook said:
the truth in 40 times. Now i'm not saying anyone is lying, but a 4.4 40 is flying for anyone.

the fastest player in last years draft class was chris johnson and he ran a 4.24 and was only one of 3rb's at the nfl combine to run under 4.42. Only 12 rb's total ran under a 4.5

Desean jackson of the eagles and donny avery of the rams are widely considered extremely fast wide recvr's. Last year at the combine jackson ran a 4.35 and avery a 4.40. Only 6 wr's there ran under a 4.4 and only 24 ran under a 4.5.

At DE only 1 ran under a 4.6 and he was 4.57. The #2 pick in the 2008 nfl draft, chris long, ran a 4.75 at the nfl combine. Good for the 7th fastest 40 time for a DE.

One way or the other i don't care, but i thought it would be interesting to look at a few of the fastest players that entered the nfl this year.
We can add to this post. What were the 40's ran on? Grass or turf? You will get 2 different times from grass to turf, Turf being faster. Older turf even faster yet.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The 2008 nfl combine was held at the rca dome in indianapolis, which i believe is field turf. That rubber, fake grass blend stuff. i could be wrong though.

But i get what you're saying. there are quite a few variables that factor in.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
That stuff it SLOW!

Also, if they are using handheld, or a machine. We have a machine where you have your finger on it in a 3-point and a sensor when you cross 40. no itchy fingers involved!

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Yes,a center and 2 guards/tackles.Must have 2 more on the line of scrimmage.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Need 5 men on the line most teams run dbl tight, 2 tight ends. In recent year many teams have switched to spread and/or unbalanced style of play.

I saw a team this yr that started with their center as the end man on the line. didn't work so well.

Some spread teams( 3 men on the line) have done well. Richland in '05 and some of the region 3 teams in the last few years. only problem is you have have to have the athletes to run it.

Seems like the power teams usually win out in the end though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts