North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Wisconsin Giant

13K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  deerslayer80 
#1 ·
anybody seen the video of the GIANT whitetail in buffalo county? There is a video on fieldandstream.com They say it could beat the Milo Hanson buck. Wow if I could get one like that. dig a hole throw me in. I'm done

#2 ·
WOW!

I hadn't heard of this buck until you mentioned it.

Here is the link to the video:

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/whiteta ... ecord.html

Can this Buffalo County, Wisconsin, behemoth challenge Milo Hansen's world record typical buck that scored 213-5/8"? Several whitetail experts think it's possible. Last week Scott Kirkpatrick, asked me and a small group of whitetail fanatics to view footage of a giant deer he'd filmed while driving between several of his hunting properties. After picking our collective jaws off the floor, we all agreed this tremendous, free-ranging whitetail certainly has a shot at toppling a record that has stood since 1993.

Among the viewers was Ted Marum, a former outfitter and whitetail fanatic. "Scott had told me the buck was 'closer to 220" than it is 200,' before I saw it," Marum said. "But after I saw the video, 220 inches is selling him short. He's way bigger than that." Iowan Steve Snow, who has shot two bucks grossing over 200", says the buck "will gross over 230" in its sleep." After adding up the estimated tine-lengths, beam measurements and spread, we've arrived at a gross-score for this amazing buck around 240". Interestingly, this buck was likely filmed by one of Scott's former guides two summers ago, just across the road from this property. At that time, Kirkpatrick felt the buck would gross-score around 200" and was at least 4-1/2 years old.

Assuming someone actually kills the deer, will a buck that grosses around 240" be large enough to reign over the B&C book? Naturally, it will come down to deductions. Kirkpatrick filmed the buck at a distance of over 400 yards on the evening of August 16th at 8:00 p.m., near a property he leases. Even with a window-mount to steady his Canon camera, Kirkpatrick's footage is just distant and grainy enough to make a detailed estimate difficult. But if our little group of deer freaks is even close with our guess, the buck is a contender. And regardless of net score, he's certainly among the largest free-ranging bucks ever caught on tape.
:eek:

#13 ·
Who ever pays the most money will get him. Hopefully he doesn't get hit by a car or something dumb like that. I passed on a huge buck, because we wanted to get it next year, but 4 days after deer season it was dead on the side of the road. Hit by a car.

#15 ·
jgat said:
From what I have heard, the outfitter captured the video of this buck, but it is not on his land. Buffalo County is crazy enough, this made it worse yet.
this is true, I grew up just outside of buff co. and have hunted about 15 miles south of this monster bucks location. I first heard of this buck early this year in a close by towny bar. Now being able to see this buck on video and talk about it with.....well lets be honest anyone who dreams about this caliber of buck. only time will tell what happens with this buck, but my predictions are he's already been nocturnal for dang near 3 weeks and this is going to unnerve ppl gunning for this monster. good luck to everyone this fall

Justin

#20 ·
Here's the article..

Record Buck? Archer bags notable deer

By Julian Emerson
Leader-Telegram staff

It had been a slow morning. Perched in his tree stand for more than three hours, Bob Decker hadn't seen one deer in the Buffalo County woods he hunts south of Mondovi.

Growing restless despite the excitement of knowing a potential world-record buck recently had been sighted roaming the area, Decker thought of checking in with his longtime hunting buddy, Paul Olson, who was hunting these same woods between Modena and Urne Saturday morning.

Then, at 9:30 a.m., Decker heard it, the telltale "snap" of a whitetail stepping on a twig as it walked nearby.

Startled, he looked down from his tree stand and saw a large buck just 40 yards away. Decker eyed the animal's large antlers and immediately decided it was a "shooter buck." A few seconds later, adrenaline surging through his veins, he grabbed his bow and zeroed in on the animal's body.

Thwap! The arrow struck its mark just 6 or 7 yards below Decker. The buck bolted for about 50 yards through the woods, then collapsed. It struggled to its feet after a few seconds, then staggered another 50 yards or so to its death.

"I knew it was a nice deer. I figured I'd shot a good-sized 10-pointer," Decker said.

Decker climbed down from his tree stand and went to meet Olson before going to find his deer. As his friend approached, Olson noticed Decker's hands shaking with excitement.

"I shot a monster, but it wasn't the Field and Stream buck," Decker told Olson, referencing the huge buck that has caused a craze among deer hunters this fall after a video filmed about a half mile from Decker's hunting spot was posted on the Web site of the outdoor magazine.

The video prompted deer experts to speculate that the animal, with its stunningly large 16-point rack, could challenge Milo Hansen's 1993 world-record buck. The much-discussed buck is pictured on the cover of the November edition of the magazine.

Olson and Decker approached the buck, which had died on a bed of grass and leaves and was lying on its side. At first glance, Decker figured the animal was smaller than he had thought. He soon discovered otherwise.

Olson reached the buck first and yelled in disbelief to Decker.

"It's the Field and Stream buck!" Olson shouted to his friend. "This is unbelievable! It's the Field and Stream buck!"

Love of the hunt
Hunting deer is in Decker's blood. He learned to hunt from his father, Gene Decker, as a youngster. He shot his first buck at age 18 and became enamored with the sport, spending hours upon hours learning every detail he could about how to successfully hunt whitetails.

Decker's hunting interest is fueled by the challenge of hunting some of nature's wariest animals and the enjoyment of spending time outdoors.

"Hunting is something I've always loved," he said.

Decker and Olson have shared a lot of good times together tracking deer. The duo has hunted in tandem for 15 years and complement each other well, good-naturedly teasing each other while sharing hunting knowledge. Decker said it's not a coincidence that Olson was in the woods when he shot the deer experts believe is the Field and Stream buck.

"He's every bit the hunter I am and then some because of his attention to detail," Decker said of Olson. "You couldn't find a better hunting partner."

'Absolutely incredible'
Decker is no stranger to bagging big bucks. Six deer heads adorn the basement wall of Decker's rural Eau Claire home, evidence of successful past hunts.

On Sunday Decker smiled as he recounted stories of harvesting those deer. He laughed as he showed visitors a tiny four-point rack from a buck he killed last year during a hunt in Minnesota.

While Decker concedes he invests a lot of time and effort into hunting, he believes luck has everything to do with his impressive large buck haul. Like the buck he took Saturday, those animals were killed in the woods of Buffalo County, considered a deer-hunting mecca that attracts hunting enthusiasts from around the U.S.

Decker wasn't the only one marveling at his good fortune. Visitors flocked to his home Saturday night and Sunday to catch a glimpse of the magestic whitetail made famous by Field and Stream. Utterances like "awesome" and "incredible" were commonplace. One man kissed the buck's antlers in appreciation.

A Sunday afternoon visit to Jack Dodge's Elk Lake taxidermy shop prompted similar responses from a group of stunned onlookers.

"My God, look at the antlers on this thing," said Dodge, who has shot numerous trophy animals himself. "It's absolutely incredible. You're not going to see another buck like this for a long time."

In between phone calls from well-wishers Sunday night, Decker humbly reflected on his good fortune.

"I'm not a better hunter after shooting this buck than I was before," he said. "I'm just a very lucky person."
I don't know if that really is that same one or not.

The one in the video looks noticeably larger still...

Maybe it is just me...

#23 ·
I live only a half hour from where this buck was taken and I know the son of the guy who shot it. These are just a few facts I have heard about the deer. First off it is the field and stream buck, the one in the video looks way larger and I too thought it was different but you have to remember that when the video was taken it was in velvet. Also the deer is only 3 1/2 years old and some people believe he should have passed it up, to which I respond, would you have passed it up. Also he didn't even know it was the record buck when he shot it, he just figured it was a nice 10 point. The deer was taken about 1/2 mile from where the video was shot and it was on private land by a local hunter so at least some guy from New York didn't just pay a ton of money to get this deer. Congrats to Bob Decker on the deer of 10 lifetimes!

#24 ·
FliesItDies said:
I live only a half hour from where this buck was taken and I know the son of the guy who shot it. These are just a few facts I have heard about the deer. First off it is the field and stream buck, the one in the video looks way larger and I too thought it was different but you have to remember that when the video was taken it was in velvet. Also the deer is only 3 1/2 years old and some people believe he should have passed it up, to which I respond, would you have passed it up. Also he didn't even know it was the record buck when he shot it, he just figured it was a nice 10 point. The deer was taken about 1/2 mile from where the video was shot and it was on private land by a local hunter so at least some guy from New York didn't just pay a ton of money to get this deer. Congrats to Bob Decker on the deer of 10 lifetimes!
I have to agree. I'm about 20 minutes from there and that was my concern, that some big wig would pay a fortune to come in and harvest this animal. Congrats, Bob . :beer:

#25 ·
yeah i couldn't believe it when the taxidermist told me it was only 3 1/2 yrs old just think what he would of done next year or the year after, considering he made it through our tough buff. co 9 day gun season, well congrats to bob and hopefully this doesnt ruin hunting in and around buffalo county for the rest of us.

good luck to everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.