North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got permishion to hunt the field that has been holding most of the birds im my area. The only problem is that it is winter wheat and I have no idea how I should go about hiding in it. The geese are landing in the middle of the field (a few hundred yards from any fence line or other natural cover) and I dont think the shoots would stay in my blind. What are some of the ways you guys hide in this type of field?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
To hide in fields that are green with no stubble, we pull green weeds and stuff the blinds. Last year we hunted winter wheat planted on ground that was fallow because it was to wet to plant in the spring. The year before it was beans.

We spread out the blinds and stacked full bodies around them and had great hunts.

If it is in stubble, mix in some green weed plants with the stubble and it will blend your blind in well. One group of guys I know painted their blinds flat black and used minimal green vegetation for stuffing and this worked extremely well also. They will bungee cord a full body to the foot end of there blind as well to help break up the blind. I suggest using a feeder as one of the guys last year shot the head off a looker he put on the blind!

·
Registered
647 Posts
well, if it is winter wheat and you want to hunt there again... don't damage his crop... remember that will be a crop in the spring.

I wouldn't drive out there unless he specifically said you could and I sure as heck would be careful about pulling some crop out to cover your blinds.

Leave the blinds in the truck... people tend to forget that you can shoot birds laying in the decoys.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
northdakotakid said:
well, if it is winter wheat and you want to hunt there again... don't damage his crop... remember that will be a crop in the spring.

I wouldn't drive out there unless he specifically said you could and I sure as heck would be careful about pulling some crop out to cover your blinds.

Leave the blinds in the truck... people tend to forget that you can shoot birds laying in the decoys.
Agreed, I wouldn't be pulling any crop to stubble the blinds. I've heard of guys using Christmas garland to match winter wheat. I've never tried that myself. Personally, I would tackle it by walking in with sillys and green camo, either clothing or netting draped over myself. Pack some sillys around you to break up your shadow, and your good to go. I've done this before with good success. I'm never a big fan of driving on winter wheat unless I know it is OK to do so. Let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Garland, painted to take the sheen away, then weaved through the blind in rows works well for the short WW. When it gets taller and looks grassy, you need something that covers the blind well. God luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ron Gilmore said:
They will bungee cord a full body to the foot end of there blind as well to help break up the blind. I suggest using a feeder as one of the guys last year shot the head off a looker he put on the blind!
how do you blow a head off the decoy? even if it is right next to you, i would think that would be pretty hard unless you're ground pounding the geese...... haha i hope you give the guy crap for doing that.... if i knew him, ide never let him live it down......haha :D

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Cupped we all had a good laugh about that one! Not sure what he was shooting at but we had mallards landing in the decoys when it happened!!!!

I know he stuffs the end of his blind with clothes to make it rigid enough to support the decoy! I assumed he popped up and was shooting at one of the birds getting off the ground. He really never fessed up! We made him lay face down in his blind though for a while because even though he had a mask on the red from embarrassment was so bright it was flaring birds!!!!! :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I figured we wouldn't be able to drive out there before asking and the landowner reasured my thought. Anyway, After looking at the field a little closer tonight I noticed a row of corn that was laying flat in the field, so i think i'll try to hide my blind in that. Again, thanks for the advise guys. I'll post up some pics if it all works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.