North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Canada there was just a National election and I know there there is also a National election in the states.....SOOO here is how things relate to goose decoys....over the past few months I have driven by the election signs..you know the ones made of chloroplast...the ones that already have metal stakes ....the ones that are meant to hold up in weather...AH HA ....!!! ...so today was the day after the election ...a man right outside of my work was collecting the signs ....I went up to him and asked what are done with the signs...he says the are recycled...I then ask him ...can I have them ..??? after explaining what I wanted to do with them he said yes and gave me about 50 or so signs ...Now the fun ......I am on a budget these days but I feel my spread of geese is just not enough ...I wanted to buy some goose silhouettes but budget just said no ....so here is the project: it only takes some primer, paint ...cuting tool and some artistic (not much) ability.

1) cut the signs to shape -- look at a goose decoy or a picture and draw the outline and then simply cut
2) cut the stake down (if you use the Conservative election signs ..big blue ones if youre from Canada) you can cut them in half and use each half for two stakes
3) prime the sign on both sides
4) paint goose to corresponding colours
5) attach stake back into sign
6) VOLA you have a CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP goose silhouette.....

MAKE SURE THAT YOU ASK TO GET THE SIGNS FIRST....last night on the news they said that it is considereing a theft if you are just to take them...let me know what you guys think and if you make some of you own

Good luck hunting

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I made some of these also, but my artistic ability wasnt that great so on a sunny day I laid the sign on the ground and took a full body and had my son hold it above the sign to cast a shadow onto the sign then traced the shadow and cut it out. You can hold the decoy at different angles to get some really good realistic angles then paint to match. Was really easy.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Are you making decoys for canadas or snows and blues? I made some silos out of another material a few years back and painted them as blues on one side, snows on the other. I figured it would give the spread a different look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts