North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey guys are the windsock-type decoys any good? i know everyone out there is probably convinced that full bodies are the way to go, but just wondering. a buddy of mine would sell me a doz. for cheap so it would just be to add to my other 14 shells.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If your spread consists of 14 shells, then yes...adding a dozen windsocks (especially if they're priced cheap) is a good investment at this point. Right now you just need numbers.

I still rock a few windsocks in the spread just for posterity. 8)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Shells, windsocks and silos. They all have thier time and place. On bluebird days when birds can see the best full bodies are always gonna pull the best. On days with significant wind, socks really add to the spread but if there is no wind they are not as effective and they are very portable for hard to access places. Silos add some "bulk" to a spread and are also very portable.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I put down some shells, even though I think it's more important to start right if you want to keep goose hunting several years from now...

get nice shells....

then add some full bodies and or some sillo's...

my car holds 5 1/2 dozen deeks, my blind and my dog....

1.5 doz. full bodies, 3 dozen real geese silos, and a dozen oversized avery shells....

talk about savin on gas!! geese don't seem to mind it either

·
Registered
209 Posts
Use fullbodies. It sounds like your just getting started with goose hunting and when you get more into it chances are you will want fullbodies anyway so just spend your money on somthing that will last and you can use for while. And im sure your budies will take you out sometime too and I know they have full bodies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Use 8 dozen sillsocks and 6 dozen deadly decoys. They get more goose in than shells and fullbodies. Used shells and fullbodies for the last 25 years.
Later on the season, when hunters get problems with shy birds. I dont get problems, because they act live like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts