North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 2nd year duck hunting in ND (I'm a do it yourself hunter). Hunted near Powers Lake last year and had a great time before the freeze up. Unfortunatly the place I stayed last year (my girl friends Uncle) is having health problems. Which leaves me and two others hunting Lic. and no place to stay. At the last minute.
However, I may have an opportunity to stay with some of her relitives in Williston. Mid to late Oct.

1.Which is better? duck or Dark geese hunting
2.Hunt both simutaneously, or seperate?
Plan to use field blinds (layout), and we have approx. 6 doz goose and 5 doz duck decoys.
3.Hunting pressure and land access?
Or do we pack everyday and drive to Powers Lake
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It's been awhile - but you will have to scout - I was from Ray - Wildrose area had lots of sloughs & good ducks - Look for the refuges one by Zahl has Canadas ducks & pheasants - Powers lake is good as you know - Kenmare can be ok -

But any where there is pheasants the access goes way down - used to be anywhere with water - Including stock ponds held ducks out there

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fetch
We're staying away from the upland birds hoping to leave access open to us for waterfowl. And let the locals shoot them, they feed them all year.

When you talk of hunting sloughs did you use skiffs, Jon boats or just waders?

Last year I scouted out the "Big Meadow" (only eastside) area near Wildrose. But the drive was farther then what we wanted and we were having good luck at Powers Lake. And it is even farther from Williston. Have you ever hunted it "Big Meadow", and is it possible with a skiff or do I stick with field hunting. Looking at Ariel photos?
I was also looking on the map for the refuge near Zahl but didn't have luck locating it. Can You help me out. It sounds much more appealing and closer.

P.S. do you know any Van Berkom, Skalicky? My girl friend is from that area.
Again THANKS for the Help

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The Zahl refuge is just SE of Zahl (if I remember correctly )

Back then 30 + yrs ago we shot potholes - farm ponds & took off our pants & waded in after the ducks :D

The names are familiar but it's been along time

I have a cousin that farms near the big meadow - He lives in Williston now - but I have not hunted it (area) for a very long time

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Fetch for the input and the map site.

That's funny I wore "glad" garbage bags and jungle boots my first couple of years. Skipping school 20 years ago.

If you hear anything from you cuz let me know.

We are coming all the way out from Wisconsin.

Again thanks much.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
That brought back some memories

I think that was also when I had my 1st ciggerettes :eyeroll: a good buddy's mom was Depot Agent in Wildrose (lived in Ray) & we would ride to work with her & take the car duck hunting the Wildrose area.

Back then I shot a bolt action 16 ga - & I could get 3 shots off almost as fast as I can now with a pump - got alot of birds with that old gun (ducks & sharptails). - I think shells were $2.50 to $3.00 a box the old paper loads (always used 4 shot for everything) and Gas was 29.9 cents a gallon

- we also got 50 cents a jack rabbit in winter.

Beer was around a buck & a half a six pack ($1.00 if you drove to Sydney Montana) :beer: and bought Old Mill at the Safeway store. So yeah there were some good old days ---- Did I mention you got paid $0.50 a hour & there were jobs for everyone (nothing else you picked rock or threw bales) :( :roll: - I was a carry out boy at the grocery & coopered (thats pronounced coop-ered as in chicken coop) grain cars at the elevator :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I grew up near Wildrose. The hunting is not even close to how it use to be. I remember flocks of thousands of mallards coming in to feed in the fields. Now it is just flocks of usually around 10-15 birds. The sloughs are few and far between now due to the drought. I have some friends coming out from Wisconsin and I am worried about being able to get them on some decent bird hunting. I am hoping we get some good rain showers quick. This is my first year trying to get in on some snow goose hunting, but due to the lack of water, I am not to sure they will even stop this year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Prairiehunter,
Where in Wisconsin are your friends coming from?
We're coming out of Fond du Lac Wisconsin.

It sounds pretty dry out there.
Do you know how water conditions are on the big Meadow area?

Fetch,
My first shotgun was an old used bolt action 12. I was so proud of that gun. I refinished the stock when I was 16 and sold it for a Wingmaster.

Smoked my first cigar (Swischer sweets)
P.S. We never had birds like you guys do but it sure was nice to dream about it. That was 20 years age.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Is that the same PH ??? with one post ??? - What year you graduate HS ??? Did you know Arley larson & Jack Comfort ??? Any of the Evensons ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
The meadow is just about dry this year. There is a little water in the middle, but it is hard to get to. I am going up in that area next week to do some scouting for my friends. Will let you know how it looks. Been cool and a little moisture lately. Should keep from drying up any more. There hase been alot of ducks around. Mostly little ducks. There are a few mallards around, but no big ones. If it stays cool, they could move in from Canada early.

My friends are coming from the Oshkosh area. Their name's are Jim and John Beck. I met them when I lived out there in Appleton. They will be out here on the night of the 3rd of Oct. That is where I did ALOT of goose and duck hunting. What a blast. Never had as many birds out there as we have had in the past, but still had fun. Alot easier decoying geese out there. They will come into alot smaller fields.

Fetch,
I know Greg Comfort, but he is a few years older than I am. I grew up in Hamlet, ND just east of Wildrose. You might know my dad, Ron Moss. I graduated in 1985 from Wildrose.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prairiehunter, where did you guys hunt in Wisconsin?

We are sealed in for staying in Williston, so we'll be hunting north and northeast out to the big meadow.

Anyway, let me know how you do. Please stay in touch.
We don't go until the 17 of Oct. hope to hit the mallards and geese on the big flight down from Canada. I love the later flights with bigger birds. But like last year it can be all over in one night of real cold weather.

Again let us know how scouting goes and if you hit the jack-pot and I'll be sure to do the same for you. And I say that with all respect.
e-mail address
[email protected]

Good luck to you guys

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Sprig,

You bet I will keep you informed. Just talked to dad today and he said it looked like the little ducks were already gone. I have a hard time believing that. I am sure they just moved to the big water. He even thought the swamp was dried up. I will find out for sure myself. he doesn't see as well as he use to. I to like to get the big birds when they come down. I love getting in on the big mallards. That is how I got my blonde hen mallard.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p9483af79f20acf6477cd4ab31c59a0f7/fb36c839.jpg

Sure was surprised to get her.

I hunted around Appleton, WI for geese and around GreenBay in the bay area for ducks and geese. Bagged alot of birds. Really liked hunting the flooded corn fields. I am trying to get some time to go back and try my luck for some of those sea ducks. My buddies were telling me it is a blast.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Neat picture. Never saw a duck like that.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Nice mount & I love seeing those Morphadite ducks -is this the same Prairie Hunter or are you new ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will change my name so there is no confusion. I have changed it to Duckskinner. It froze here in williston last night. Not a good thing for local ducks. I am sure the woodies have hit the road now. I have never bagged on and would like to one day. Well better get to work.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Go south of town across the Missouri for Woodies. The state land on the way to/around the pumphouse always held them for awhile. I saw literally hundreds of them 2 years ago on the way paddlefishing (May).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts