North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 2nd year duck hunting in ND (I'm a do it yourself hunter). Hunted near Powers Lake last year and had a great time before the freeze up. Unfortunately the place I stayed last year (my girl friends Uncle) is having health problems. Which leaves me and two others hunting Lic. and no place to stay. At the last minute.
However, I may have an opportunity to stay with some of her relatives in Williston. Mid to late Oct.

1.Which is better? Duck or Dark geese hunting
2.Hunt both simultaneously, or separate?
Plan to use field blinds (layout), and we have approx. 6 doz goose and 5 doz duck decoys.
3.Hunting pressure and land access?
Or do we pack everyday and drive to Powers Lake
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would say the goose hunting would be awesome up there. That should be where the birds come right on down from Sask. Hit it up with a field blind and give us a report! I would think Mid Oct would be the best up .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blake,
It sounds like it's my only choice right now. If you know of anyone who has hunted that area send them my way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have lived and hunted up here all my life. The goose hunting is pretty good up here usually. This year the water is scarce. There can be some really good honk hunting right by Williston in Mid October and also up around Noonan and Crosby. Usually, it is not that hard to get on private land to hunt waterfowl. I hope the water situation doesn't get any worse, I am looking forward to having some good hunting. The duck population does look good though. The honks we get can be tough to hunt because they have been hammered hard the whole way down here. With the spread you have it should be aweful deadly. Good luck, and maybe I will see you around.

prairiehunter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts