North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is so great about short reed calls? I've been calling geese for many years and would like to think I'm pretty darn good at it. I've always blown flutes and have had very good luck with them. I would like to add another call to the lanyard for more options and have thought about a short reed since I don't have one. I would like to know what makes them so great. I checked out another post on here about lower priced calls and those were all calls that I have looked at. I want to get a cheaper call to try it out and eventually move up if I like them. Like I said, though, are they just that much more versatile? Just looking for some feedback from someone who's used both styles. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I started blowing a flute when I was a kid and killed alot of geese with it, When short reeds were the new big thing I switched over and havent looked back. A flute will still kill geese but it is tough to beat the sound and variations of crisp clear sounds you can make on short reeds, pretty much they sound better to US, but I dont think it makes that big of diffrence to the birds if you are where they want to be.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I grew up on flutes and the standard Faulks "honker" call. Neither can carry a short reed's jock in regard to sound range, tone, and volume control. Once you learn to run a short reed, you'll never look back at any other type of call.

I highly recommend the Winglock Walnut Short Reed which sells for $39.95, for a beginner or a flute guy to learn on. It will also stand with the best & most expensive acrylics available, once you develop some skills. It's the ONE CALL I ALWAYS have with when I'm hunting.

Short Reeds are all about the back pressure and the Winglock is extremely easy to learn on, requiring little back pressure. It is extremely goosey and in short order most guys can learn to make the full range of calls you need to land them at your feet.

This is without question the easiest call I've ever used when it comes to volume control while still making good calls. With this call you can turn a flock at a mile, then easily bring down the volume to cluck & moan them in on final approach...

I won't be hanging up my top end acrylics any time soon, but if I just had my less costly Winglocks I would have no problem killing more than my share of honkers...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Have you ever listened to someone who knows what they are doing on a short reed. The amount of diffrent sounds and tones you can get out of a short reed is endless. The first time I heard someone on a short reed it was like night and day. Dont think you are going to go buy one and figure it out in a couple days though, short reeds take a lot of practice. More important then the call is the cd that you buy to learn off of. How you present air into the call is very important and if you blow a short reed like a flute the only thing you will be calling in is cormrants! Everyone is right you can still kill geese with a flute, but you can do so much more with a short reed!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a flute right now and I tried out a foiles migrators call and I thought you just blew it like a flute so I tried that and :oops: it was a little embarrasing since I was in front of a lot of people. It will take some time to get used to a short reed if your used to a flute. The foiles call was a guy's that is good friends with Jeff Foiles and he knows some other lady that makes calls (I can't remember her name right now) and he said that he used to blow flutes and he said its almost impossible to have a flute and a short reed on your lanyard because he said its really hard to blow a flute if your used to short reeds. Anyways, short reeds sound a LOT better and all the call variations that you can do with them are endless.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I think a lot of guys end up sounding better on a short reed because when they switch from a flute they have to do something they've never done...

...practice.

If you are killing geese on a flute and you're happy with it then why switch? If you want to try to learn something different then switch. Truth be told a good flute caller can sound pretty damn good. There were just never many who were that good because you could buy a big river and make it sound somewhat like a goose out of the package. So people never put in nearly as much time trying to learn how to call on them they do on a shortreed.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree... but the short reed definately has a wider range of tones and unique sounds. I used flutes and other calls early on in my life but I finally broke down and bought a Foiles Migrators Strait Meat and I can tell you that the calls that I can now make with it are far more advanced than I ever did with a flute. I have always been that guy who keeps his calls in the truck all year long so practice was not the X factor for me... not saying that for everyone though.

Honestly, it was the best $150 I have spent in the past 10 years on gear. I am not saying at all that the call I bought is the best for everyone... but as far as call type... well short reeds really get my vote over the flutes but both kill birds if used in the corret equation.
location = birds

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. My main reason for thinking about swithching is that my favorite flute has a crack and I think it's on it's last legs. I think that I pretty much have a flute mastered but there are still sounds that I just cannot get to come out of a flute! I am always looking for something new to try out so I think this is a good time to try one out. I don't plan on even hunting with it this year but by next year I should hopefully have a new weapon to use. I am on my way to Scheel's tonight to try some out. I have thick skin so I'm not too worried about getting laughed at. Is that Winglock something they would have? If not, where do I find one? Thanks again for all your help in nudging me forward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts