North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duck hunt or blow a call ??? I was just a pot hole jumper & pass shooter for most of my early days of waterfowling. Also shot alot of ducks SOB hunting in fields. But it was a older retired Minn. guy who comes every year to SOB hunt with us, that got me blowing a call & took me on my 1st few boat hunts. & they were awesome - like a shooting gallery - one of the 1st times I ever really shot ducks, coming at me with landing gear down & in your face.(I had trouble not shooting at everything that came close - they looked like good shots to me) I have been hooked ever since. My lab (now deceased) was a natural for boat hunting - it got so all I had to do was watch her. She was like radar & if I missed she could shame me - & talk about a big water entry (so cool) I sure miss her. Hunting with a great dog is so special. I'm pretty sure one of the biggest reasons I still had the desire to shoot birds, was to watch her & before (her Mom) both do their thing.

I don't know how many duck calls I have now ??? (a bunch) Plus now I'm trying to target different species of ducks from a boat.

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wrote this a couple weeks ago on another site (talkin about duckboats)& why folks think your nuts - if you do.---

I think ducks often avoid shores - cause we used to have so many predators up here. I like islands & like to hide in a boat, in the reeds.

Oh they think your nutz up here to, if you use a boat. (It is mostly the Minn & Wisc boys that do.) It is manily cause, there are so many potholes & smaller shallow waters, that you don't need a boat, to get ducks. But where you can use a boat. You hardly ever run into hassles, or other people or competition. When your around people as much as I am - it is Heaven to get away.

--- Now I know for a fact this is not the case in Minn. or Wisc. (another reason to limit NR's) There getting to be too many boat hunters in ND already (for me) :grin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.