North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is going to be bringing his dog out duck hunting with us this year and we usally stand in water. I was wondering what some of you guys have built as far as platforms to keep your dog out of the water?

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
How deep is the water? Sometimes the dogs can just stand along with you. Otherwise, we use to use old muskrat hutts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
There are a couple companies that make dog platforms or stands that work well. I've also seen some people use half of a plastic dog crate or a small tv tray type of table depending on the depth of the water.

If you're hunting timber you could even use a tree stand.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hunt in flooded timber so I use a tree stand. I glued a piece of carpet to the platform so my dogs toenails wouldnt get caught in the expandable mesh of the platform. Seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use an Avery Ruff Dog Marsh Stand. It is big enough for my shorthair and sturdy. Usually just flatten some cattails and put the stand on top. It has expandable legs and a non slip surface for the dog. It weighs around 15lbs :) Only bad thing is I think it cost close to $200.00 :(

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I use Sport Stands for my dogs. This dog platform has been around a long time and appears to be the design that Avery copied for theirs. Get ahold of Mark Jansma at **** River Kennels (coonriverkennels.com). He sells them for around $150...

·
Registered
440 Posts
bring a small john boat or canoe if possible, easy to drag and can be filled with dekes... I've put my dog on a portable stand in flooded timber before, it works, not comfortable but dry none the less

1 - 12 of 12 Posts