North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'll be hunting in the south central/east part of ND next week. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect for ducks? I heard lost of rain hit the other day. Did anyone see any ducks flying across the state?

MT

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Ive been hunting the North East part and the birds seem to be trickling in pretty good. Not huge numbers but vey huntable. I can't say for further south and west but where I am access is gonna be tough. Many field were already wet or had "suprise" wet spots so you had to be carefull where you drive. Now they are even wetter. If it doesn't warm up it could be walk in access only.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i hunt in that area.. this last sat. we had access with four wheeler an a small utility trailer because of the amount of rain an it rained more that night, on sunday it was even harder to get in with the four wheeler...most all fields were pretty saturated and im sure this coming weekend will still be no good for a truck an trailer...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got back from the ******* area. I had to leave as the ducks, dark and light geese were arriving. Look over towards ****. lots of birds heading that way. Also north of *****slew and ******. Figures,,,had to leave when things just started happening. killed a limit of ducks a day but was a lot of work. The last morning in the rain was an awsome sight. We were done in 20 minutes.

*Edited by dblkluk*
**Please no town names in reports**

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The more times you guys quote this the more work it is for the Mod's to come in and clean it up.

Go back, edit your post and delete that part out. I can't do it in this room.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
To answer some questions, there are remarkably few ducks in Northern North Dakota right now from what I've seen. Most of the resident mallards have pushed south and the migrators haven't shown up yet. I think you're best bet would be to get as close to South Dakota as possible if not in South Dakota. Southwestern MN looks pretty good now too!

·
Registered
225 Posts
All in all the migration hasn't realy arrived yet, if you go out hunting you are bound to see birds. The truth is that you don't see any birds if you don't go out hunting. If you go out hunting than you see birds. I can't say i'v never had a hunt were I didn't see any type of waterfowl flying around.
I like to call this part of the season the "lag" period. It's the time of the season where most of the local birds are gone, and the migration hasn't realy hit hard yet. So the best thing to do is just go to a favorite slew or field and just hunt because the birds are hard to predict this time of year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.