North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
4,330 Posts
That's a real cool pic! Size doesn't always matter... except to women! :beer:

· Registered
843 Posts
Gildog said:
Here's the 30 my Dad caught...anyone want to guess what she went?
Around 9 pounds. That's why I've set a 10# marker for myself. Over here in the spring it's not uncommon to see guys catching 28" fish that go over 10#. For me, length is not as important as girth (she said that to!). I'd rather have that 28" 10# football on the wall than the 31" 10#. Of course I'd really like to put a 31" 13# on the wall*.

*On the wall means a replica, the fish is returned to breed and fight another day!

· Registered
2,760 Posts
I'm considering getting a replica made of this one that I caught early this summer in Canada. She came in just under 30" and just under 10#. The best part was that it was tagged and tagging of fish on that lake hadn't happened for 5 plus years. Reports of only a couple fish being caught that were tagged in the previous 3 years from that lake. Also caught it while fishing with my old man and convincing him to stay out even though some big rain had been moving through most of the day. She was caught, photographed and released to keep spreading those big girl genes.

· Registered
5,180 Posts
ruger1 said:
Around 9 pounds. That's why I've set a 10# marker for myself. Over here in the spring it's not uncommon to see guys catching 28" fish that go over 10#. For me, length is not as important as girth (she said that to!). I'd rather have that 28" 10# football on the wall than the 31" 10#. Of course I'd really like to put a 31" 13# on the wall*.

*On the wall means a replica, the fish is returned to breed and fight another day!
What he said, Id guess around 9 lbs as well.

· Registered
19 Posts
old thread but...im over in michigan and for it to go on the wall...12lb's+ 8,9, and 10lbs are common ironically...TY huron and ERie, yall wouldnt believe the amount of 10lb+ fish that were caught this spring

· Registered
640 Posts
I've always told myself 30", but to each his own. I've seen "stringer" mounts done with several big walleyes on them and those look really cool...really expensive too though I'm sure. I'm not in a huge hurry to put a fish on my wall although if a special one comes around I will.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Wow, old thread comes back to life.

I have the replica of my 28" now. Overall he did an excellent job on the painting and colors, but he made the belly too fat. I was a little disappointed in that aspect. That's the problem with a replica, but I enjoyed releasing the fish even more!

Attachments

· Registered
2,170 Posts
I have a 28 1/2" 8 1/2lb eye on my wall. I have had a number of people tell me it was too small to keep. I caught it on the last of our annual "Father's Day" trips to Oak Island on LOW. It was the middle of the day, and HOT! All the people at the resort said there was no reason to fish during the afternoon because the walleye don't bite on LOW in the hot afternoons. You should have seen some of their mouths drop when I brought it out of the livewell. That year my bro-in-law's dad (he was the glue that held our trips together) died of cancer. It ended a 9 year run of these memorable trips. Every year some one caught a wall hanger, and this was the biggest fish any one in our group caught that year. It was meant for the wall!

Now that I live on Devils Lake 10lb is my next target!

· Registered
843 Posts
drjongy said:
So you killed a trophy fish and never mounted it because it was an ounce shy?

I think there is a reason why muskies keep getting bigger and bigger and walleye guys complain about the fish getting smaller and smaller.

Exactly. There is no reason to ever kill a trophy fish. Kill them for "hot grease release" or CPR them.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Joe Bucher always used a similar line as well, "catch and release.......into the grease"

Seriously, though, catch and release works...period. Minnesota is a world-class musky fishery because of it, no question about it. If someone wants to keep a large walleye to eat, that's fine, but I hate to hear stories of a large fish in someones freezer that ends up getting thrown away because they were too lazy or cheap to take it to the taxidermist. It either gets freezer burnt or their freezer will quit working and ruins the fish. Now that's a waste and a shame!!

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I would say 10lbs or bigger before it's considered for the wall. I have yet to put one of them on the wall though. Once you get them in my hands I just think what if I release her and a number of years down the line she could be the state record, so back in the water they go.
As for throwing one away because it didn't make 12lbs, that's just something an idiot would do. Have some respect for the resource.

· Registered
5 Posts
To me, its all in the eyes of the beholder. You have to take into consideration how often you fish, and what bodies of water you fish. If you live on the water and spend lots of time on big walleye water you should set the bar pretty high. If you dabble around whenever you can ride along with a buddy, if its big to you, and have a good story...don't be shy. Whatever makes you smile! Living most of my life in Wisconsin, I fished Green Bay, Little Bay De Noc, Lake Winnebago, Lake Erie, Petenwell Flowage, etc etc etc. I fished lots of water with big fish, so I knew I always had a chance at 30+ at any time. My biggest was a 31 1/2 caught in Canada, at night in three feet of water. Great fish, great fight, great night. I took some measurements just in case, and watched her swim away. I never did get a replica made, it just was not fat enough. That's just me, I am not a snob, but I just felt that I could maybe someday get one with a little more girth.

My Biggest.

· Registered
843 Posts
Stobber said:
My biggest was a 31 1/2 caught in Canada, at night in three feet of water. Great fish, great fight, great night. I took some measurements just in case, and watched her swim away. I never did get a replica made, it just was not fat enough. That's just me, I am not a snob, but I just felt that I could maybe someday get one with a little more girth.
Man you are right. That fish is skinny as a rail. We've been having the same problem this summer. We had a 28.75 that only weighed 8.02# last weekend. I can't wait for fall when they start to fatten up again.

· Premium Member
1,658 Posts
25 up certainly wouldn't be shameful! I got a 28 1/2 skin mount of my first whopper. Wish I would've let her go and got a replica instead. I really like the new walleye replica's I've seen. Take them over a skin mount anyday!

· Registered
205 Posts
I am a firm believer in if it's a great catch with great friends Mount it! I have been fishing for many years and now just mainly ice fish but have never caught a 10lb walleye. Been in that 8-9lb range many times but have never sealed the deal. I am getting older now and that spot on the wall that I have saved for the 10lb walleye is still empty. I may never catch one. If I do I have a place for it if it does happen.
Have you ever been on a fishing trip and you just crush small fish and have a great time? I was on one of those one time I thought about keeping a 5" and mounting with a plaque saying I caught this on Lake of the Woods with Great Friends.

If it was a memorable trip mount it. Taxidermist need the work too. It's your trophy.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.