North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking the question because the 2nd and 3rd walleye i ever caught in my life were a 26" 8.5lb and a 28" 8lb. I am thinking of getting them mounted but i am not sure if i should hold off for a bigger one. I know i should have let them go but i was assured by a bunch of old timers at the lake that it was ok to take the bigger ones from lake darling since half the lake is off limits anyways. dont know if thats true or not but what is done is done.

· Registered
494 Posts
My rule of thumb is 10lbs (unless a really good story behind a 9lb catch) or 30"

Anything less than that really isn't a "trophy" for most people unless something remarkable happened while fishing tha particular day which warrants keeping a 28 incher.

My rule of thumb is about 17"-30" go back. The only fish that hit the livewell for me are fishing I need to eat for shore lunch on week long camping trips.

I only like to eat fish fresh. No sense in taking a fish home to put in the freezer...to eventually throw away a year or two later.

Nice fish btw...26" and 28" are two nice fish in anyones book...anyones.

· Registered
425 Posts
I would not mount a 26" fish. I've caught quite a few of them, and they go back unless they are damaged too badly. I don't care what the length chart says, one of my 26" was weighed at the marina, and it was just over 6 lbs. It was really skinny, it had just spawned. If I caught a 28" that went over 9lbs. yes, under no. If I caught a 29" that went over 8lbs, yes, If it were skinny and under,no. It would also have to have no dents, or damaged to it. Anything over 10lbs, and 30" yes, unless in Canada, then 12 lbs.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what i was kinda thinking. But then again i had been fishing out there every day for about 3 weeks without even getting a bite and then caugth those 2 within 10 minutes of each other. i also have a buddy that wants to practice his taxidermy skills and said he would do it for next to nothing.

· Registered
50 Posts
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to mount it don't worry about what others think. If you catch one bigger you can always mount that one as well.

I know people in deer hunting circles that look at other peoples mounts and say how they wouldn't have mounted this one or that one when they themselves havn't even shot one as big as the ones they are critisizing. Only makes them look like bungholieos.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm getting a replica made of this 28 incher I released while musky fishing. Getting it done for a few reasons....my biggest walleye, caught on a large musky bait and put up a great fight, and I think it is quite a thick fish for a 28.

I always told myself 30 inches or 10 pounds, but this just seemed like the right fish to get it done.

On a side note, please consider getting a replica fish for your trophy. True, a fish this size is not a good spawning fish, but giving someone else a chance to catch it what it's all about, and just a general respect for an animal that has survived this long.
:beer:

· Registered
454 Posts
For me, my # is 12.0+. I have caught one that I thought was 12lbs but when it got weighted at a offical scale it came in at 11lbs 15 ounces. and i never mounted it. Back then we(lake Sakajwea) had ALOT of 8 lb plus fish and i always thought i would catch another. I have caught 14+ lbs out of lake Erie though and threw them back in.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
So you killed a trophy fish and never mounted it because it was an ounce shy?

I think there is a reason why muskies keep getting bigger and bigger and walleye guys complain about the fish getting smaller and smaller.

· Registered
530 Posts
I agree your trophy is in the eye of the beholder who cares what other people think your the one paying for it and your the one with the memory if i was to catch a 28 incher I'd mount it no questions asked but once i had the 28 mounted wouldnt mount any other eye unless it was 30 or had an awesome story behind it. My 2 cents

· Registered
178 Posts
Put a 9#3 on the wall last year. let a big girl this spring go that went just under 11. For my second fish on the wall I'll have to break 11 by a bit. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. My father-in-law is as happy with his 26 inch mount as I am with mine over 9#. Do what you want.

· Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Wow those are some big fish

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Any whopper deserves a place of distinction, getting trophies mounted is one of the main ways hunting and fishing is actively promoted.

· Registered
95 Posts
Im getting a 5lb 25incher mounted,its not the biggest fish in the world but the biggest walleye iv ever cought.I dont think it has to be a 30in+ or 10lb+ fish i think as long as it has a story behind who cought it or how it was cought i think it deserves a place on the wall.

· Registered
372 Posts
Jungda99 said:
My rule of thumb is 10lbs (unless a really good story behind a 9lb catch) or 30"

Anything less than that really isn't a "trophy" for most people unless something remarkable happened while fishing tha particular day which warrants keeping a 28 incher.

My rule of thumb is about 17"-30" go back. The only fish that hit the livewell for me are fishing I need to eat for shore lunch on week long camping trips.

I only like to eat fish fresh. No sense in taking a fish home to put in the freezer...to eventually throw away a year or two later.

Nice fish btw...26" and 28" are two nice fish in anyones book...anyones.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.