North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be upgrading to a new boat after this season, and i was looking for some ideas on what to get. I hunt the mississippi river and other small rivers so i was leaning towards a prodrive motor and a boat big enough to haul 3 men and gear. I dont hunt out of my boat now, but i would like to be able to in my new boat. help me with some ideas for the layout of the floor (seats, gun boxes, ex.) What brand/size do you guys use, post some pics. Thanks a lot! Good luck in the field!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Splash
- Folks on this site think that boats are the devil's work. All the folks on these forums hunt fields. Only 'Sotas have boats.

You figured out the Prodrive part - that's the right move (the rest are trash). You can get a lot more ideas on boats at the Refuge or at MudmotorTalk. There are lots of good ideas out there to copy.

M.

·
Registered
323 Posts
thats the newest drug runner good one man. I use a 14ft V-hull with a 15hp outboard seats 4 people comfortably with dog and gear. If ya want more info its 4 sale if your interested ? its a good boat good duck hunter boat haha. alot of my friends have 16 footers with 35+ hp motors.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Old hunting partner uses a War Eagle up in Manitoba and swears by it. Hunts mostly large water for divers. He's getting older and said it was very stable and easy for him to stand in compared to his old V-hull.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hunt from a boat and condider it the only way to hunt, it is much more exciting and fun. Any wuss can walk out into a field, take a nap and be bored. Going out at 5:00am and go across 6-8' swells on devils lake or lake of the woods, that will see what kind of seeds you have in black out conditions. It is also more fun to watch the dogs chase and dive after ducks. I also don't enjoy getting everything you own get full of mud.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have an 18' Crestliner john in shadow grass. Very nice boat and blends in nicely. Has that rail system that allows various attachments and I think it will take a blind too. Good for hunting or fishing.

Good luck in your search,
Dan

·
Registered
727 Posts
For hunting water I have an 18 ft Sea Nymph great lakes special with a 70 hp evinrude I run as my tender boat when hunting divers and during the warmer water periods of each season I run a 14 ft Lund with 15 hp on small bodies of water. I've also got a few kayaks and other small boats that sometimes get used for hunting if the situation calls.

limitsbynoon said:
Going out at 5:00am and go across 6-8' swells on devils lake or lake of the woods, that will see what kind of seeds you have in black out conditions.
I've commercially fished Alaska, fish on the Great Lakes and spend countless hours on water for pleasure and work but I've never enjoyed going over big swells in the dark, even more so on unfamiliar water. You must have one heck of a hunting rig to handle 8 footers in the dark. To go out in the dark in 6-8 foot waves you got seeds but not a whole lot of brains at least to me but to each their own, that's what makes our sport great everyone can do what works for them. Have fun and be safe :beer:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Not everyone on here hates boats or has issues with them and you didn't ask a bad question either...pretty legit if you ask me.....

I have a 20' Glastron Ski-Fish so it doesn't work too well in the pot holes out here! :D

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
MSG Rude said:
Not everyone on here hates boats or has issues with them and you didn't ask a bad question either...pretty legit if you ask me.....

I have a 20' Glastron Ski-Fish so it doesn't work too well in the pot holes out here! :D
Honestly! Neither does Ours!

:beer:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
16 ft olive green Lund. 25 hp merc. Avery quick set blind. 3 is nice, but I can do four plus a dog no worries.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
MSG Rude said:

I agree, don't let the "field only" guys rub you the wrong way...Some of us here appreciate a little variety when it comes to hunting. Can't shoot fully plummed out Can's or Redheads in the field...There missing out!

·
Registered
70 Posts
maybe some of ya'll can help me. i'm trying to determine what size motor i should get to run a 14-16'. will have 3-4 guys, dog, dekes and gear and need to go 10-15 mph. let me know what you advise.

·
Registered
727 Posts
extremehunter said:
maybe some of ya'll can help me. i'm trying to determine what size motor i should get to run a 14-16'. will have 3-4 guys, dog, dekes and gear and need to go 10-15 mph. let me know what you advise.
I think you'd probably be looking in the 15-30 HP range, you have to watch though the motor isn't way to much for the boat. My 14 footer could never handle a 25 hp, it would squat so bad and would be unsafe, unless you have a big, wide 16 footer a 30 HP might be too much. 14 footer I'd be thinking 15-20 hp and 16 footer look for 20-25 hp but remember as you put weight in the boat your speed with drastically decrease.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts