North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Tim has THE BEST customer service, I will bet against any other call maker. Not only when you call do you get to talk to him or hunter personally but he will take the time out of his day to give you tips on your routine or what you can improve on. I have a Pro Super Mag, a Real thang, and my dad has a Super Mag.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
IMO, no other company has come close to producing calls on the same level as Grounds. And I say that with a good amount of experience blowing other brands. I usually try not to be a brand pusher, but that is one I really feel strongly about.

·
Registered
987 Posts
diver_sniper said:
IMO, no other company has come close to producing calls on the same level as Grounds. And I say that with a good amount of experience blowing other brands. I usually try not to be a brand pusher, but that is one I really feel strongly about.
dive knows his stuff, I had him tune my super mag poly (which is on sale for 35 dollars NEW from the tim grounds web pag) and it was a big step up from all the other calls i've tried, which has been a lot...

i'm excited to get to try a half breed this weekend, and hope to try the real thang pretty soon as well...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've used & tried a lot of calls over the years, including Tim Grounds offerings. The truth of the matter is all of the short reeds built by folks like Grounds, GK, Performance Calls, Winglock, and so on, are darn good to outstanding. Pretty much all also recognize the value of and practice excellent customer service.

I personally find Grounds calls tougher to work than others, particularly the lower priced poly carb model sold off the shelf (not in the display case with the top end acrylics) at places like Scheels & Cabelas. I've tried this model several times and just didn't like how much back pressure I needed to get it to sound good (getting correct back pressure is a helluva lot easier standing on two feet than laying down in a blind). Also found it difficult to reduce volume to do soft moans & clucks with this call. For that reason consider it a call for a moderately skilled to experienced caller. Good calls, but not one I recommend for a novice or as a first call for someone to learn on. In all fairness, Grounds top end calls are tough to beat, though...

Far & away the best combination I've come across for sound, ease of use, range, and price are those offered by Winglock. Even though I have & use top acrylic calls from a number of companies and switch around depending on conditions, the one call I always have with in the field is a Winglock Walnut Short Reed which costs around $40...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I tried the super mag in cabelas and i thought it took alot of pressure to make it work too.....i would like to have a triple crown though, blew one in sportsmans and liked it

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Well I asked a friend this question because of his profession. He said Tim was one of the first to make short reed calls. Tim is between 55-60 years of age and has been calling and hunting for a very long time, he is a crack shot according to people I know who have guided him. At one time I wasn't giving Mr. Grounds the credit he was due but have since came to my senses, his calls are the best made. I have met Tim several times also and found him very much a people person. He would answer any question or show you his techniques, a 100% class act.

He used to stay at Central Flyways in Kramer when it was still in business.
He is a man of great integrity and works hard to accomplish his goals. You can't go wrong owning any call approved by Tim. :beer:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.