North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
My dad has a blue phase. He's a great dog, but man are they an energetic dog. They are fairly strong headed as well. He knows when he doesn't have his shock collar on and he'll push his luck as far as he can. It's amazing how his attitude changes once the collar is on. you don't even need to shock him, the fact that you CAN shock him is enough.

He is an exceptional upland bird dog. He's got an awesome nose and really knows how to work the birds. He is however scared to death of the water. Dad lost a pheasant because his bird went down in the middle of a pond and his dog WOULD NOT go get it. He just stood on shore and whined.

They are fairly naked as far as hair goes as well. Dad's dog needs to be babied during the later part of the season. He get chilled so easily.

They have limitations. However I would highly recommend them, IF all you hunt is upland birds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a three year old male. He is awsome. He is my first Weimer. I did not know much about the breed before I bought him. Turns out they are known for their very high intelligence. Mine is evident of this. Sounds like ruger1's dad's dog is also. Mine also is prone to getting cold, but it won't stop him from hunting. I have a neoprene vest he wears late season. The guy I bought from locally here moved back down to Nebraska. My male has been neutered. I can track the breeder down yet if interested; chaws. Just send me a PM.

·
Registered
601 Posts
my friend had one that died when it was 9.......... nothing wrong with it really. it just died one day. wasnt good for water retrieves in cold water. we smashed about three inches of ice and the first duck we shot she got and then she didnt move for a long time. good phease nt/ grouse dog tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If that dog is really "fully trained" take it to a field and find out. Weims are widely regarded as an "intelligent" breed, but like other breeds, are heavily diluted by the show crowd. If you find a good one out of proven hunters, then you've got a good shot, but don't expect it to be as biddable as say a shorthair or pointer, simply because they tend to have a mind of their own and will do things their way when they believe they have a better idea than you. Good luck and enjoy the dog!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts