North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WESTFIELD, Mass.

An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, Police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.

The boy was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said. Police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting."

The victim was taken to Baystate Medical Center where he died. His name was not released.

Although the death appears to be an accident, police and the Hampden district attorney's office were investigating, officials said.

The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People will be allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.

Officials with the private club and the firearms group could not be reached for comment. A message left on a club answering machine was not returned. The C.O.P. group's machine clicked off without taking a message.

The sportsman's club was founded in 1949 and describes itself on its Web site as an organization that promotes "the interest of legal sport with rod, gun, and bow and arrow, both directly and through training."

:******: :******: :******: :******: :******: :******: :******: :******: :******:

Who in the Sam Blue Blazes would even consider letting this happen.....?

8 years old with an Uzi.... Is someone crazy?????????

· Administrator
20,084 Posts
Zogman I seen the title to this thread and it took me back 43 years. I seen an anti Vietnam war protest march ( 1965) where many were wearing T shirts that said "we have met the enemy and he is us". I have been waiting to see Obama supporters wearing something like this. I hope I don't have nightmares tonight. :D

· Registered
163 Posts
politics way to the side... a kid using this type of gun? a tragedy that could have easily been avoided with common sense. I remember how much training my grandfather made me go through to shoot a pellet gun or his .22. the father of this kid has a long life in front of him.......

· Registered
3,049 Posts
I feel bad for the person who put an Uzi in an 8 year old's hands. If he has an ounce of humanity in him I bet he won't sleep for a month. Horribly tragic in every aspect.

Obviously I don't need to tell anyone here that this wasn't the gun's fault and that guns aren't bad. But this is a case of someone not being responsible. Not guns being bad for anyone. Putting that gun in a kid's hands is as smart as telling a kid to drive a car down a busy winding highway. You just don't do it.

· Registered
2,850 Posts
Lets look at this. An 8 year old boy who has maybe fired a gun but who's only contact with an auto or semi auto gun is probably a video game.
Kid has no idea what it is like to control a weapon with real recoil. Instructor does not take into account these facts and the boys physical limitations to handle such a weapon. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen and probably lucky the kid only shot himself. The instructor probably should not be one. You only give kids what they can handle. I would have started with a couple rounds in the mag and worked up to more when he showed he could reasonably control the gun.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Here's a thought....What the hell is an 8 year old doing with an F'ing UZI in the first place. Come on! Just asking for trouble in a case like this and sadly the outcome was inevitable. What is the reason an 8 year old CHILD needs to be firing an UZI? Complete negegence on the part of the "instructor" that put the gun in his hands. It is a tradgedy and luck that he was the only one injured or killed. And we wonder why the anti-gun lobbyists are after our right to own firearms. You have clowns handing automatic weapons to children. And for what reason? Unbelievable! :******: Way to give them more ammo to push their agenda.

· Registered
372 Posts
This is crazy...

Firing on full auto is something every expierenced adult gun user should try...I'm pretty good sized & was expecting it, but still had a significant up-rise when I let it buck & that was less than 10 rounds of .223...

Who could even think a child could handle that???

· Registered
637 Posts
I just saw them cover this on the "Today Show" this morning... It is so frustrating to watch the media cover gun incidents. They called it a "Semi-automatic UZI machine gun". Which was it? Semi-auto or a machine gun?

If it's true that it was semi, this incident really surprises me. 9mm ain't exactly .460 S&W, and UZIs are pretty heavy. How the heck would it climb far enough to hit him in the head? I suppose he could've dropped it. HOWEVER. If the thing was NOT semi-automatic, and they reported it as such I am MAD! Nothing like smearing all semi-automatic guns as "machine guns".

· Registered
9 Posts
An 8 year old has no business firing that kind of weapon. Not the uzis fault, just gross misconduct on the instructors part.... what was he thinking would happen?!? Most 8 year olds can barely hold a weapon of that size. Very sad :cry:

· Registered
857 Posts
What in Sam hell was he thinking. Hearing that makes me sick. :puke: There's nothing worse then adding fuel to the fire for those gun lobbiests out there. One man's irresponsiblity can be devestating. I hope they took away his license.

· Administrator
20,084 Posts
willythekid said:
I'm pretty sure the kid dying is the worst part deerslayer.....
Before this gets personal willy let me say that deerslayer didn't say the kid dying wasn't the worst part. So often these get personal because people read things into them that wasn't said.

The tragedy of the child dying is obvious to everyone. However, giving the situation a little thought there is a secondary situation and deerslayer was simply pointing that out. Hats off to deerslayer for seeing both.

· Registered
32 Posts
This is clearly a case of tragic stupidity. I will offer up prayers for the loss of the child, the devastated family, the club and the instructor. Often there are people with ill intent that cause tremendous pain to society through horrendous acts of violence. Somehow there are always those that plead for the forgiveness of those people. I think that the memory of this unfortunate decision will haunt the individual for eternity. Of course I don't know this person, this was a mistake of epic proportions. After the dust settles we should look at what can be done to prevent these things from happening in the future. That said: Don't for one second think that this isn't exactly the moment that the Anti-Gun Loby has been waiting for. These people have No conscience and will gladly step over whatever unfortunate souls are needed to further their cause. They are willing to limit your speech in order to remove you from your guns. They have a plan, they will implement it in short order. As far as the unfortunate incident in Westfield Mass goes, God have mercy on their souls!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.