North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
An IQ under 75 must be a requirement to be a Kalifornia comodant. Can you imagine Newsom as president? I hope you don't read this until tomorrow morning or the thought will keep you awake all night.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dont worry.... they are grooming him to make a possible run if they dont go with Biden or Harris.

The issue with Harris is she really isn't doing anything as VP. I know most VP's dont do that much. But she really seems not to be doing to much to advance her political career. Now this might be on purpose....ie: lay in the weeds and just dont make waves... dont do anything... and just go off of slogans/promises and being the first black female... etc.

But time will tell on that one.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to talk about EV's again...

I heard on USA Today morning show them talking about EV's.... and the hurricane. They mentioned what can people do when a power grid goes down because of a natural disaster and EV'S? They wont be able to "charge" like normal. If they are stuck in traffic trying to get out of the way with an EV and don't have a full charge? What about if the charge runs out while they are stuck in traffic? How about emergency vehicles that are powered by electric (like Biden's EO saying federal vehicles will be EV's by 2030 or what ever the time frame was).... How will they get power during a disaster and the aftermath?

These are things that people don't talk about until it is too late. Like when a hurricane is bearing down on an area.

But these need to be discussed and figured out. I know many will say... well we need the infra structure to be built to handle all of this.... yeah but what IF.... gas and diesel can show up in trucks.... electricity can't.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue with EV's is that they require Coal and Oil to charge them. That is the issue. Plus what it takes to mine the batteries. And then add in the fact about the life span and recycling of the batteries issues.

I am not saying they can be improved on. They all can. But right now to "force" EV's onto people isn't good. We need more infra structure, bigger energy grid, better technology, etc.

The thing that they should be pushing is the "hybrid" type more. But guess what... they are seeing that wasn't happening or people didn't want to go that way. So a "green" administration and what not are FORCING this onto others. This was all done to appease a niche base and also give a middle finger to Trump. That was what this was all about.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hence my post...you HAVE to use the technology you have until you find someting better. The people who continue to use old technology because there is nothing better should not be punished. Some want to trash people who use fossil fuels and some want to trash those who look for alternatives. There is always going to be change. But there should not be a forced change just for the sake of change

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just had a conversation about EV's and what not with a client.

We both talked about how they are skipping the step with the Hybrids. They are available... need to bring the cost down on them. Then also the infrastructure.

Think of a farmer who is running a dryer or doing a milking operation. Might not have the correct stuff or amount of energy to use to "hook" up a couple of EV's and run their business at the same time.

Think of how many homes right now are not equipped to hook up an EV. If you start to implement hybrids more. Some of these homes might get the equipment/hooks ups installed. Then it will "trickle down". IE: Next person who moves into that home will see the hook up and say... Heck I can now get an EV/Hybrid.

Also did anyone else see where Toyota came out and stated that Cal. isn't equipped or ready to handle a complete EV change like they want to be? Kind of brings everything into perspective.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Electric car owners have seen their rides catch fire after becoming waterlogged during Hurricane Ian and it can take hours to put the conflagrations out, a top Florida official warned Thursday.
As the Sunshine State recovers from the punishing Category 4 storm that made landfall last week, first responders have faced further destruction from electric vehicles that were submerged in water from the extensive flooding and later caught fire, Jimmy Patronis, Florida’s chief financial officer and state fire marshal, said on Twitter.
“There’s a ton of EVs disabled from Ian,” he tweeted. “As those batteries corrode, fires start.
“That’s a new challenge that our firefighters haven’t faced before. At least on this kind of scale.”

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Canuck.... Exactly.

Many factors are being ignored or not considered when pushing these EV's on everyone.

I hate to say it but a telling sign or warning should have been listened too when Elon Musk said that the world and usa are not ready for a complete EV switch over. HE OWNS AN EV COMPANY! But that warning wasnt listened too because of politics. Which is sad.

I am not an EV denier and know that is how things will be moving in the future. But as of now we are not ready for the switch over and wont be in 8 years. Has anyone seen how our government works... slower than molasses in Jan. in Antarctica.

Just like things i mentioned. Are hotels ready to have charging ports for all of their guests? Are apartment complexes? Parking Garages? Second market homes (older homes) can they even handle it with the old wiring?

The real issue is people will look for the GOV for money to update/upgrade wiring and what not because they were forced to do this. Where will that money come from?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I got a quick ride yesterday in the electric F-150. It was a pretty cool truck and man I have not been thrown back in my seat like that for quite a while when he hit the "gas" pedal. Would I buy on to pull my trailer ...hmmm, NO.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a friend that is looking into the F-150 Lightning.... he wants it for the generator. He thinks or hopes it can pull his ice house and he would use the generator or the "charge" to be a back up to his back up for his ice house. I told him becareful because as of now cold days might not be good if you are out on the ice for 2-3 days for the charge and what not.

Also good to know about the pulling a trailer aspect as well.

Again I am not a EV denier at all. But things need to advance a lot more for them to be more viable option and economical.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts