North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed I didn't say walking in mud or even walking on water! :lol:

Actually, we're coming out the last week in Oct. From what I hear is that some of the potholes are drying up leaving some mud to cross having to retreive downed birds or decoys. I know if I try it, some valuable resources from the Air National Guard heavy lifting helicopter unit will have to be utilized.

Anyway, other than the $135 plastic shoes from Cabelas, is there any kind of homemade mud shoe that you know of? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
hole in the wall said:

Actually, we're coming out the last week in Oct. From what I hear is that some of the potholes are drying up leaving some mud to cross having to retreive downed birds or decoys. I know if I try it, some valuable resources from the Air National Guard heavy lifting helicopter unit will have to be utilized.

Anyway, other than the $135 plastic shoes from Cabelas, is there any kind of homemade mud shoe that you know of? Thanks in advance.
didn't know cornfields required special shoes. o_O

·
Registered
372 Posts
if its over knee deep, don't stop moving for anything. :beer: (so I've heard) & make sure someone is with you that will be able to assist with a boat....not just keep hunting with a lame excuse "wait the ducks are flying" (so I've heard)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiawassee_kid said:
hole in the wall said:

didn't know cornfields required special shoes. o_O
Corn shoes! I thought everybody used 'em!!! :lol:

Jess tryin' to be prepared. Believe me, if I can hunt & stay in the fields, I will. Last year I never even put on waders the whole week. However, we had to give up one bird to the ***** because we couldn't cross the mud.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have pondered the same question. I have an old pair of plastic snowshoes that I am going to try this year. Heck if they can float you over a foot of fresh powder I would think they could do it over mud.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Buddy uses them on occasion, his are the ones from Cabalas and they do work. Biggest thing is getting use to walking with them through the cattail area. They worked well setting out decoys in some of the low spots in the field and in the sloughs as well. I tried a pair of snow shoes but they did not work very well in comparison. You do have to keep moving though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts