North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is ND still having the donation of the venison to the guys in Iraq or to the food shelf? If so pm me on where to go or to get more information. I can only eat about 1 deer a year and I have 3 tags.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No go on the food shelf as well (Hunters for the Hungry program). They found too many 'lead fragments' in the deer last year so they suspended the program...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I read in another thread that you donated game and I think you deserve a pat on the back for actually going through the effort for someone elses benefit. Not many guys around here would do that if we had that available in my area. I'm sorry to say that the majority stock pile meat and I often hear about it going to waste because they couldn't use all they had in the freezers. Once again I am impressed by the men on this site. Many of you surprise me on here, its, enlightening.
Cheers to your efforts and thoughtfulness. :thumb:

·
1,405 Posts
With them finding lead fragments in donated deer it kind makes me wonder if the processor is actually doing a good job of cleaning the deer or not. I know none of the deer I ever have eaten has had any lead in it. If something happens where one of the quarters or backstraps ends up with a bullet going through it, the area around the wound channel gets cut out and thrown away. I wonder if the processors aren't taking the time to do a decent job?

I'd really like to be able to donate a few does if they could get things going again. I'd be willing to even donate deer that had been shot with an all copper bullet if I had to.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
ac700wildcat said:
With them finding lead fragments in donated deer it kind makes me wonder if the processor is actually doing a good job of cleaning the deer or not. I know none of the deer I ever have eaten has had any lead in it. If something happens where one of the quarters or backstraps ends up with a bullet going through it, the area around the area around the wound channel gets cut out and thrown away. I wonder if the processors aren't taking the time to do a decent job?

I'd really like to be able to donate a few does if they could get things going again. I'd be willing to even donate deer that had been shot with an all copper bullet if I had to.
Thats a good point. Not very comforting to think about if you have them do all the work.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am ****** that I cannot donate meat. I am glad that the goverment is taking food away from starving people. :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

·
Registered
394 Posts
blhunter3 said:
Well I am ticked that I cannot donate meat. I am glad that the goverment is taking food away from starving people. :eyeroll: :eyeroll:
Yeah. Cause I'm sure a minuscule amount of lead in their bodies is what homeless and starving people are really worried about. :roll:

·
Registered
106 Posts
the deer donation program is going be a think of the past ! The aveage meat per deer is like 30 lb , paying 70 or 80 dollers a deer, running at 2.50 a pound you can buy 80/20 beef for that and no lead! put the money into beef and make the farmers happy! that makes the hunter look good! and help the people on the food program, win win for all! for the people that do not eat a deer ,set up some lockers up for them to drop off for the food program and thay pay for the processing. If you kill it eat it or pay far it! :beer:

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We just have alot of deer that need to be thinned down and donating them was the plan but I guess I will only be shooting one now.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
Yeah thats also the reason I have so many tags. Gotta thin out the herds. I actually have 4 tags for in city limits!
You could care less about that, you just wanna shoot 4 deer! 8)

For the guys that still feel they want to shoot a few extra deer and donate them to help the needy, shoot your deer then give the processors money to process it.

I was taught from a young age, if you plan on shooting it, you better plan on eating it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts