North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently it's legal to use unplugged guns in MN this year. It's considered a special season to control goose populations so it's Federally legal. Guys have been calling CO's around the state and they say it's true.

After looking at ND's regs for early season, they say nothing about having to only have 3 shells in your gun or a plug for that matter. Only regs on shooting hours and limits.

So my question is, is it legal to use unplugged guns for the ND early season? I'm thinking it might be.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
No it is not, the reason is that ND restricts guns to 3 shells for all bird hunting with a shotgun. If you look, the early season rules are published with the small game rules. In those rules it clearly states what is legal in regards to shotgun capacity.

If it was available ND chose not to exercise this option! Which I fully agree with!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok

Why not unplug them? It will result in more birds being killed, which is the goal of the early season right? The limit is still only 5, some people will just get there faster, or get closer to it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i stopped putting in 5 shells for spring snows because it seemed like they always moved out quicker then i can shoot and i ended wasting the last 2, however for canadas it might not hurt just to have them in case you call the flock back in or you have cripples.

·
Registered
987 Posts
haha, i see no disadvantage of having extra shells in the guns.... not at all..

perhaps a cripple, or the comback call worked before you got more shells in.. scenarios are endless... I am just glad i'll be lucky enough to have the plug out... if I need the extra shells i'll have em... if i don't need them, I just won't shoot.. don't get what the big deal is, I garantee if you could take your plugs out, you would...

·
Registered
987 Posts
goosehunternd said:
What good is the 4th shell if there are no birds to shoot at?

This is the first time I am actually jealous of MN 8)
hahaha, i'm glad you could say it, I fig. that it was a little bit of that goin around....

and i can say "this is the first time i'm happy (er) about hunting minnesota!"

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
barebackjack said:
Honestly, how many geese are killed with the third shell, let alone the fourth, fifth, sixth????
Maybe you dont hunt with good shooters. I know if the guys I hunt with had more than three shells we'd shoot more birds guaranteed. I was floating one the other day and quadrupled, if I'd of had more shells I would've killed even more.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Flick said:
barebackjack said:
Honestly, how many geese are killed with the third shell, let alone the fourth, fifth, sixth????
Maybe you dont hunt with good shooters. I know if the guys I hunt with had more than three shells we'd shoot more birds guaranteed. I was floating one the other day and quadrupled, if I'd of had more shells I would've killed even more.
Ummm, isnt that against the law??? :eyeroll:

And besides, whats the fun limiting out in one flock?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
barebackjack said:
Flick said:
barebackjack said:
Ummm, isnt that against the law??? :eyeroll:

And besides, whats the fun limiting out in one flock?
Ego! :rollin:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've also heard Ron tell stories of himself consistently shooting 15lb honkers, call that what you want........

·
Registered
38 Posts
justund223 said:
i stopped putting in 5 shells for spring snows because it seemed like they always moved out quicker then i can shoot and i ended wasting the last 2,
Sounds like you need an 11-87 or SBE ! :D

I never seem to have a problem emptying my autos.......

NDMax

1 - 20 of 37 Posts