North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a swan tag and i was thinking about going out and shooting one soon, Has anyone ever tried to pluck a swan. i wanted to try cooking a swan and i think it would be cool to cook it in the oven whole.
Just wanted to see how difficult it is to pluck one, i think it might be like a goose?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Make sure you have plenty of wax ready...they are pinny as hell. For some reason they really plume out late.

I've plucked a couple and they're pretty good. I wouldn't be discouraged, just go into it knowing you have a big job ahead of you. I've served swan at Thanksgiving a couple times in the past and it's been neat...kind of a novelty thing I guess.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
blhunter3 said:
Swan :puke:
Out of curiosity, what waterfowl do you like?

I really don't see how it's that different from other ducks and geese. I think it's pretty mild actually.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Swan is just as good as duck or goose.Just pick a young one out and not one of those 20 lb. oldies.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Not to change the subject, but I have one of those swan tags as well, and I'm wondering how everyone hunts them? Pass shooting or decoying?

Good luck with your hunt SDSGK.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
I don't mind other waterfowl, but the 5 times I had swan it was horrible. It was made by 5 different people too.

When I was with when my grandpa and his brother were hunting swan we drove around and jumped them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've known folks to jump them, pass shoot them, and use a small Canada and Snow goose water set on a slough they are using. They did not set in but seemed to make a fly by.

As for plucking, try submerging what ever surface you can in boiling water for about 30 seconds before plucking. It has helped. Cook in a big oven bag to hold moisture.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I always stock the swans on a lake or pond that i get. In some areas there arn't many swans any way to realy worry about them flying into or past your decoys. So I always just drive around and find them sitting on some water. You can hunt swans from sunrise to sunset to any day of the week in legal shooting dates :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've plucked a few of them, not a whole lot different then a goose. I thought it was okay. Much lighter and milder meat then a goose. I have two at the taxidermist now one shot in 06 one in 07. $500 per bird, they are going to be cool.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
bluedog1 said:
$500 per bird, they are going to be cool.
Wow, dude works cheap.

There's a plucked one in the freezer I can't wait to bake and eat. If you don't like swan, you simply don't know how to cook.

Then again cooking is a lost art these days. Outside of pizza and fishsticks most people (men and women) don't know how to use an oven.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Some people say cranes taste bad too, I'd eat them any day. As far as swan goes, I'd always be up for a meal of swan, didn't get a tag though so I guess I'll settle for the deer I arrowed this morning.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I get a swan tag every year but don't always get a swan. I hunt them using decoys over water. I have two swan decoys I bought from Cabelas and four Canada goose butts I painted white. They work really well.

I did get a swan this year, on October 25th, hunting a large wetland that has traditionally attracted swans. In addition to using decoys I also call them by simply doing my best impression of a swan whoop. There is a guy on the east coast who makes swan calls but at $100 each I decided I can mouth call just fine with good results.

I always pluck the swans I shoot (I pluck all waterfowl) and while it takes me some time I think it is worth the effort. The bird I got this year had lots of pin feathers, which has not been the case in the past which made it a bit more challenging. I don't wax swans only because I don't have a container big enough. I have found that dipping my fingers in warm water helps me grab the feathers more easily. I plucked this year's swan, including the wings, in about 45 minutes and that is longer than I have ever spent due to the pin feathers.

While it is possible to get birds, including ducks and geese, that are old and tough or have an off flavor I have never had a bad tasting swan. I always roast them using a technique I have perfected for waterfowl over many years of cooking them.

I really enjoy the challenge of hunting swans. They are great birds and if I could get more than one tag a year I would do so.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Pete said:
I've known folks to jump them, pass shoot them, and use a small Canada and Snow goose water set on a slough they are using. They did not set in but seemed to make a fly by.
We need goosebusters2 to put out a swan calling instructional video. He mouth calls em in and shoots em in the head at 15 yards. Looks good doing it too :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.