North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
foxnews.com:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Sarah Palin "abused her power" as governor in firing the public safety commissioner, a legislative panel concluded in an ethics case that Palin's supporters say is politically motivated.

The panel of state lawmakers released its report Friday after spending more than six hours in a closed-door session reviewing the findings, which say a family grudge was a factor in Palin's dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, but not the sole factor.

At the heart of the investigation was the question of whether Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee had pressured Monegan to fire her former brother-in-law, a state trooper, after a contentious divorce.

Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in the bipartisan panel's report found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.

Palin has said Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.

"I feel vindicated," Monegan said. "It sounds like they've validated my belief and opinions. And that tells me I'm not totally out in left field."

Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.

Palin and McCain's supporters had hoped the inquiry's finding would be delayed until after the presidential election to spare her any embarrassment and to put aside an enduring distraction as she campaigns as McCain's running mate in an uphill contest against Democrat Barack Obama.

But the panel of lawmakers voted to release the report, although not without dissension.

"I think there are some problems in this report," said Republican state Sen. Gary Stevens, a member of the panel. "I would encourage people to be very cautious, to look at this with a jaundiced eye."

The nearly 300-page report does not recommend sanctions or a criminal investigation.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I am still trying to figure out how someone in an appointed position, whom is exempt from career service protection, and whom serves at the leisure of the governor whom can request his resignation at any time gets to this point.

All sounds like pure crap to me.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
southdakbearfan Im with you 100% This rogue cop tazered his 10 yr old stepson,drove his squad car while drinking, and shot a moose illegally.I cant believe the idiots that come on here and question the decision. This person needed to be removed from his position for public safety. Had he tazered my son of only 10 years I would be doing life.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The findings had no problem with the firing... the problem lies with how she abused her power in trying to get her former brother-in-law fired. It shows how unethical she acted. I wonder what she'd do given the chance to be vice president. Good for us that is a very small chance...

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
i suspect, no I KNOW, No-bama has been involved in much worse activities, as a harmless community organizer or part time senator.
just hang back and watch, when he gets elected he will abuse his office and stretch his powers, and the y damn sure won't be to your liking, i can assure you of that.......just hang back and watch, i will be the first to say,
"i told you so"..........

he is already trying to steal the election with his Acorn butt-buddies.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey, turn this around for a minute. Now let's imagine that their former brother in law is still married and still a trooper. Can you imagine the ****fit the media would have about an in-law, whom has tasered his kid, along with numerous other dubious items, still being in uniform? What would the media be saying?

They would be saying you should have forced somebody to fire this dirtbag, PERIOD!

Which is exactly what she did.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Exactly. And add to the stated atrocities if that in-law had admitted to the use of cocaine, was a member of a blatantly racist and anti-American church, had a history of questionable financial arrangements with known terrorists, and sprinkle in the possibility he had underlying beliefs consistent with radical Muslims ?.........Yeah, what a media poopstorm it would have been :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In 2006, Anchorage Mayor - And 2008 Democrat Senate Candidate - Mark Begich Similarly Dismissed Monegan. "This is not the first time Monegan has lost his job. In 2006, Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich asked him to leave his post as Anchorage Police Chief early, although Monegan was willing to stay on another year.
Does anyone know if Wooten also threatened Begich's family?

There appears to be a pattern here :eek:

....but no pattern to the associated investigation(s)

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
I simply can not understand why the media turns a blind eye to anything that detracts from Obama. Is democracy already dead in America?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
How does this......

Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in the bipartisan panel's report found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.
Lead to this?.....

The nearly 300-page report does not recommend sanctions or a criminal investigation
If someone paid with taxpayer money violates state law, why aren't they punished, and why don't the taxpayers DEMAND it?

As much as I try to be as open minded as possible, this issue just keeps sounding more and more like pure, old-fashioned politics to me :roll:

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Plainsman said:
I simply can not understand why the media turns a blind eye to anything that detracts from Obama. Is democracy already dead in America?
unfortunately, it is on life support.....the radical left has been working overtime and they are about to take away what used to be a proud nation.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
The nearly 300-page report does not recommend sanctions or a criminal investigation
That says it all there. If there was anything they would be all over it. Also, there was no personal gain. As Southdakbearfan wrote there would be a crap storm if there was anything real.

Nothing again just like all the other big stories. :D Remember all the proof that was offered? I admit when I am wrong, but have you ever seen any of the liberals admit they made a mistake on all of the Palin bs they posted? Don't hold your breath on that. :D

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
For those seriously curious for the truth of the matter...

Here is an article that covers the recent Palin interviews on the TrooperGate findings, and a little fact check on her replies.

Don't worry... politics will sweep this under the rug for her.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/palin-makes-tro.html

Palin Makes Troopergate Assertions that Are Flatly False
October 12, 2008 6:56 PM

On Saturday, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin twice spoke to reporters about the so-called "Troopergate" scandal and the investigative report on whether she had abused her power in trying to get her sister's ex-husband Mike Wooten fired as a state trooper, and for firing Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan one year after she, her staffers, and her husband Todd began unsuccessfully pressuring Monegan to let Wooten go.

Palin spoke on the phone with Alaska reporters about the report. The McCain-Palin campaign only allowed one question per reporter. The journalists came from the Anchorage Daily News, KTVA-Channel 11 and KTUU-Channel 2. No follow-ups were allowed.

The call can be heard HERE.

"Well, I'm very very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing," Palin said, "any hint of any kind of unethical activity there. Very pleased to be cleared of any of that."

That's just not the case.

One can make the argument, as Palin and her allies have tried to do, that this investigation -- launched by a bipartisan Republican-controlled legislative body -- was somehow a partisan Democratic witch hunt, but one cannot honestly make the argument that the report concluded that Palin was "cleared of any legal wrongdoing" or "any hint of unethical activity."

The investigator did conclude that Palin's firing of Monegan was within her power, that "although Walt Monegan's refusal to fire Trooper Wooten was not the sole reason he was fired by Governor Sarah Palin, it was likely a contributing factor to his termination as Commissioner of Public Safety. In spite of that, Governor Palin's firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads."

But it also finds that Palin "knowingly, as that term is defined in ... statutes, permitted Todd Palin to use the Governor's office and the resources of the Governor's office, including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired. Her conduct violated AS 39.52.110(a) of the Ethics Act..."

The report states: "I find that Governor Sarah Palin Abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act ... Compliance with the code of ethics is not optional...

"The evidence supports the conclusion that Governor Palin, at the least, engaged in 'official action' by her inaction if not her active participation or assistance to her husband in attempting to get Trooper Wooten fired [and there is evidence of her active participation.] She knowingly, as that term is defined in the above cited statutes, permitted Todd Palin to use the Governor's office and the resources of the Governor's office, including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired. Her conduct violated AS 39.52.110(a) of the Ethics Act...

"Governor Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda."

Read the report HERE.

Palin spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt explains that when Palin says she's been cleared of any legal or ethical violations, "She was referring to the conclusion of the report that found that she acted properly and lawfully with regard to reassigning Monegan, which was the original purpose of the investigation."

But Palin is seldom that specific.

When Palin first commented on the report she parsed.

Asked "Governor, did you abuse your power?" she said, "No, and if you read the report you'll see that there was nothing unlawful or unethical about replacing a cabinet member. You gotta read the report, sir."

It's true that there's nothing "unlawful or unethical about replacing a cabinet member" in principle. And the report concluded that she had the power to fire Monegan.

But the report concluded that she had abused her power, and there was indeed something "unethical" about her behavior, insofar as it violated the state Ethics Act.

But now Palin has moved on from parsing to assertions that are not true.

"Governor," asked a reporter with the Anchorage Daily News, "finding Number One on the report was that you abused your power by violating state law. Do you think you did anything wrong at all in this Troopergate case?"

"Not at all and I'll tell you, it, I think that you're always going to ruffle feathers as you do what you believe is in the best interest of the people whom you are serving," Palin said. "In this case I knew that I had to have the right people in the right position at the right time in this cabinet to best serve Alaskans, and Walt Monegan was not the right person at the right time to meet the goals that we had set out in our administration. So no, not having done anything wrong, and again very much appreciating being cleared of any legal wrongdoing or unethical activity at all."

Again, not true.

She was NOT cleared, certainly not of "unethical activity."

In Altoona, Pa., at the flagship Sheetz gas station, Palin was asked to elaborate about her assertion that there was nothing "unethical or unlawful that was done."

"I'm thankful that the report has shown that, that there was no illegal or unethical activity there in my choice to replace our commissioner, so, now we look forward to working with the personnel board that the entity that is charged with looking into any activity of a governor, the lieutenant governor, or an attorney general," Palin said.

That came closer to the truth. The report did in fact conclude that Palin had the power to fire Monegan.

"Governor, if I can follow up," a reporter said, "the report says that you did abuse your authority in trying to get Officer Wooten fired. How do you respond to that charge?"

"There was no abuse of authority at all in trying to get Officer Wooten fired," Palin said.

If she was stating that as her opinion, fine, but if she was stating that as the conclusion of the report, that's false.

"In fact, remember, Officer Wooten is still an Alaska state trooper, which is up to the commissioner, top brass in the department of public safety to decide who is worthy of wearing a badge and carrying a gun in the state of Alaska," Palin said. "And if they think that Trooper Wooten is worthy of that, that's their decision. I don't micromanage my commissioners and ask them to hire or fire anyone, and thankfully the truth was revealed there in that report, that showed that there was no unlawful nor unethical activity on my part."

Again, not true.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Here is an article that covers the recent Palin interviews on the TrooperGate findings, and a little fact check on her replies.

Quote:
What makes an ABC blog any more "truth" than anything else? It's nothing more than mainstream media BS, just in another form.

Here's a little something you won't hear on ABC news or any of the other mainstream other networks.

This from the Anchorage Daily News
While the elitists mock Republican vice presidential candidate Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska as a frozen moose hunter who thinks conducting foreign relations means she can see Russia from her house, they are merely betraying their own ignorance.

However, even her own state's main newspaper, the Anchorage Daily News, berates her for letting her energy platform be dumbed down to "drill, baby, drill," while praising her for her truly outstanding accomplishments.

In energy alone they summarize:

In just two years as governor:

* She worked with lawmakers and used her popularity to vastly increase Alaska's take-home share of its oil wealth, providing the state with billions of dollars in budget surplus with an oil tax that increased both the base rate and captured progressively more at higher oil prices.

* She encouraged new investment and exploration with generous, intelligent tax credits.

* She kick-started investment in a natural gas pipeline-both through her own Alaska Gasline Inducement Act and the response by North Slope producers BP Alaska and Conoco Phillips, who pledge to spend up to $600 million on their own project.

* She maintained her predecessor's hard- line stance with Exxon/Mobil over development of the Point Thomson gas reserves, ultimately deciding to take the leases back rather the trust Exxon to make good on its umpteenth promise to produce. That prompted Exxon to go to court. That also prompted Exxon to promise $1.3 billion of work on Point Thomson.

* She proposed a Renewable Energy Fund that lawmakers last session approved for $250 million over five years. This is money to bankroll wind, geothermal, tidal and other forms of renewable energy.

• She supported lawmakers' work on home energy conservation, including $200 million for the Weatherization Program that increased the qualifying income limits for individuals and families and $100 million for the Home Energy Rebate Program, which provides up to $10,000 per household for energy efficiency improvements.

(snip)

Her Alaska record shows she's paid attention, can see beyond drilling platforms and isn't afraid to take on the industry when the public good demands it. So far on the campaign trail she's shown gumption without vision on the subject of energy. Rather than pad her resume, she should build on it; she's got more to offer than "drill, baby, drill."

[...]

Meanwhile the late night comedians, who think a drill is something only dentists use and can't utter a thought without a teleprompter spewing someone else's words, and her opponents who have, as in Senator Obama's case mostly voted present in the legislature and accomplished nothing during his stint as a community organizer except "pal around with radicals" who practice vote fraud; and while Senator Joseph Biden plagiarizes and proclaims FDR went on television when the market crashed in 1929 and US Marines drove out Hezb'allah from Lebanon; all would freeze in their fancy energy consuming homes without energetic and creative doers such as Governor Palin.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe one of the reasons you don't see that kind of stuff is because that is what we expect from our politicians. We expect them to do good things for our state or our country. We do not expect them to act in an unethical way like Palin did. That is why the left is pointing it out to everyone and the right is trying to cover it up. And if the aren't covering it up they are justifying her actions....

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
R y a n said:

All credibility is lost when you use a blog as truth, PERIOD.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.