North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Trip Preparations ?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  KEN W 
#1 ·
Three anxious Georgia boys driving to ND for the first time the first week in Oct. and need advise. We plan to target the Northeast to Nortcentral part of the state and are after some good field and slough hunting for puddlers & Canadas. We primarly hunt marshes and flooded timber back home. I've been reading past posts on ND field and slough tactics but still have some unaswered questions:
1. Are full body, shell or silhouette duck/goose decoys best for fields?
2. How many goose vs duck decoys work best for fields?
3. What should the spread configuration for decoys be? Where should the ground blinds be in the spread?
4. Will the birds flare from my dog or do I need a field blind for him as well? Or do I not use him for the fields?
5. For slough hunting, do we need a boat (we have a Riverhawk which is a canoe like boat w/ 15hp)? How deep are the typical sloughs(if there is such a thing)?
6. If we use a boat, how do you put into the sloughs?
7. Is there a need for much calling in the fields? How about in the sloughs?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Gandergrinder (cool name) & FieldHunter, thanks for the replies...this does help.

FieldHunter, everything I've read here and on other duck huter's forums indicate to stay away from the Devil's Lake area for a multitude of reasons and also suggest the further north you go, the less pressure and more access to unposted land.

We will be heading out on 10/3 and should take us two days drive. We will be there for a week. We would welcome any advise as to what general areas to target that will have hotels allowing for 50-75 mile radius to good hunting areas. We will be driving a diesel SUV that allows for a lot of windshield time so scouting will not be a problem. I know you can't predict where the ducks will be nor am I asking for anyone's hole but we have absolutely no knowledge of your state and looking for guidance.

As of right now in our planning process, we are struggling with what specific area to start with. Do we start in the SE part of the state and drive northwestward (to contend w/ land access and pressure) or do we set our sites on the nortcentral part of the state and go from there? Perhaps the Minot or Rugby areas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.