North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
You can do it during both. But it also depends on a lot of factors....

Newly harvested field? New geese? Migration is it happening? Has the field been hunted hard? etc.

But typically it works best in the mornings. But you can have success in the afternoons as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
In MN we set up in a high traffic area. This year we have only hunted mornings. Last year we did both, shot more in the mornings but we did have some good night hunts. I think the key to running traffic is alot of flagging and calling. I don't call at every flock, I will flag and if they check it out then I call.

·
Registered
166 Posts
if they are feeding in another field then on there way back to the roost it is very hard to get them to turn around.....yes everyone has to run traffic no and again and if you cant get to the X then you have to run traffic but i think he means after they are done feeding and heading back to the river or lake.....i have found this to be very hard in most circumstances especially if they passed you on the way out!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
be prepared to stay as late as noon-one. we've killed alot of geese heading back to water this late in the morning. usually you'll get a midmorning lull, while the geese feed, but after that time it could get good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like Triple B said....seems like late morning 10-12 you get a few singles and small flocks that are willing to give you a look if your willing to wait it out. Have had good luck trafficing in fields with a little water in them that maybe weren't the X but geese would check out as loafing areas late morning

·
Registered
976 Posts
good point, ususally you are targeting small groups and singles. keep in mind that if you aren't on the X that running a larger spread will probably give you better results. also try to give a relaxed feel to your spread and the way you call to the birds. often times you will see birds that are laying down in such "real life" scenerios. we will use shells to beef up our spread and in many cases even pull out the sleeper/resters. instead of sharp demanding calls and calling agressively with a few guys, try a more gritty relaxed tones with fewer callers and less agression.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would much rather run traffic. For one, I get a huge kick out of making birds go where I want them to go. You can also get alot more hunts out of geese before they change feeding habits.

In a perfect world I would look for water between thier feed and roost...there is something about WATERfowl over water. :lol:

2nd choice would be a pasture or other type of short cover field giving me maximum visability...but I would almost rather hunt Pheasants than hunt waterfowl without water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts