North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a silage cut corn field with about 300 geese in it every morning every other night.....i got about 7 guys i wanna bring....i know it can be tough to cover up since its really bare but this field has good stubble and alot of leaves layin around.....my question is really how i should place the blinds....should i spread them among the decoys ...maybe set them 20 yards away or ..cluster them in one big group.......we will be digging them down about 4-5 inches...anything would be greatly appreciated thank you

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Group them close in sets of three and separate the groups by 20 yards and stack family groups on your blinds. We have hunted this type of field many times and this works well. Mud the blinds very well use the existing corn stocks and leaves to blend it in, but do go overboard on the stuffing of the blinds unless there are places where bunched up corn is in the field.

Keep in mind that in digging down the blinds you are going to change the appearance of the ground as well. We would use a tarp and pull the dirt away from the decoy area and then use it to fill in the holes afterwords!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I regularly hunt with six to eight guys, similar to what you are describing. We always set up the blinds side by side in a line. We will generally create "the pocket" directly in front of our blinds and fill in around and behind us and then extend the spread out in front of us around the pocket. Something like this...

Or something like that.

I am nowhere near an expert, and others on the forum will certainly be able to provide some good ideas. This has been working very well for us so far this year. 33 birds last weekend using this method. You'll probably be able to beat that from the sounds of your field.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, I didn't account for the nodak logo when I uploaded the pic, but you can imagine what it looks like.

The main reason we don't break the blinds up is safety. We hunt with a couple of younger guys and always preach safety above everything. The firing line style setup lends itself well to this mantra, as opposed to having blinds scattered around. If you're with a good group that you know well and are aware of where everyone is, then the grouping method sounds good too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Probably easiest to put them all in a line. Just tell the guys to pick birds right in front of them if the flocks are big enough so everybody isn't smoking the same two birds. It seems like everyone will shoot at the closest ones otherwise. A lot of people pack decoys around the blinds, but I think it looks unnatural especially early in the year. Just get out there early enough to stubble the blinds in good and you will be fine. Good luck, post some picks of the carnage.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys thanks for all the posts ......after watchin the geese for the past few days i think its just going to be easier to sit in the standing corn next to it because they circle bout 2 times then hit the field......they swing over the standing corn about ten yards high so i think that is our best bet.....again thank you all ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts