North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked his website in the issues section. He had been in the hospital with complications from appendectemy, but was back home recovering.

Met him a couple times, always enjoyed his shows on tv. Prayers to his wife and family.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
ndwaterfowler said:
bretts said:
prayers to his family, I grew up watching his shows on local television. He was really fun to watch. He was a great sportsman.
Same here. I remember watching his show every saturday morning with my dad. He will be missed.

Chris
X3

Thanks Tony for all the memories..

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Columnist Tony Dean dies at 67

Josh Verges
[email protected]

Outdoors broadcaster and conservationist Tony Dean died early Sunday as a result of complications from an appendectomy.

The 67-year-old was among immediate family members at his home in Pierre, where he had been seated in the living room overlooking the Missouri River.

"He could see the water; he could see the ducks," said his wife, Darlene DeChandt. "He knew he was sick, but he said, 'You know, I'm not afraid.' "

The family is organizing a service to celebrate Dean's life. His body will be cremated and the ashes sprinkled over lands where he liked to hunt and fish.

Dean had his appendix removed in Pierre in late September and was moved to a Sioux Falls hospital a week later to treat complications. He returned home Thursday. His death was not a surprise.

Dean earned a reputation for standing up for conservation, no matter the financial consequences. He was criticized for supporting Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson and then again for backing Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

DeChandt said her husband's final work before he fell ill last month was recording commercials for Obama's campaign. If Obama were to win, she said, Dean was going to be on his transition team.

"He was absolutely thrilled. He felt strongly that Obama was the one with enough insight and was young enough" to appreciate land conservation, DeChandt said.

Jason Mitchell of Devil's Lake, N.D., recorded several TV shows with Dean for "Tony Dean Outdoors" before buying the program early this year. Dean eased the transition by joining Mitchell as co-host for the new "Jason Mitchell Outdoors."

Mitchell said Dean had the courage to stand up against the National Rifle Association when it supported candidates who he felt did not have conservation at heart.

"He took a lot of those stances, sometimes at a great financial cost," he said. "Tony could see the big picture. He was doing those things for future generations."

Conservation activist Dave Zentner of Duluth, Minn., had been a close friend of Dean's for 40 years. Zentner said they both promoted a respect for the land and water that hunters and anglers enjoy.

"He knew there had to be a message about taking care of that resource," he said.

Dean hosted and produced "Tony Dean Outdoors" since 1985 and produced the daily radio show "Dakota Backroads" since 1990. He also wrote columns for the Argus Leader and was considering forming a conservation think tank before he died.

DeChandt said a fund will be established in Dean's name to set aside land for public hunting.

"We're losing more than a friend. The prairies have lost a voice that is, to me, the most amazing voice of a generation," Zentner said. "And it's a tough loss to take."

...................................................................................................

Rest in Peace Tony

Bob

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Our condolences to the family. Mr. Dean will be missed in many ways! His show was certainly a great means of spreading a conservation message.

·
Registered
372 Posts
other than dropping over in the pheasant field or on a walleye/smallmouth lake, seems like he was where he wanted to be when he was called home...would that we can all be so fortunate when our time comes.

RIP, Tony...your storytelling will be remembered, and your voice for conservation will continue.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
R.I.P. Tony Dean

I met Tony out goose hunting, we spotted him by his huge camera filming the birds feeding. We had an all afternoon visit, he was fun to talk to and really was just a regular guy.

He gave me a couple free goose flags for the advice and help I gave him. I was the one who showed him how to know ahead of time where the birds were going to be in large numbers. He used my trick many times on TV. Get that big one Tony!!

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
ndwaterfowler said:
bretts said:
prayers to his family, I grew up watching his shows on local television. He was really fun to watch. He was a great sportsman.
Same here. I remember watching his show every saturday morning with my dad. He will be missed.

Chris
Funny thing, he reminds me of my dad to the "T"...Loved his show! He will be missed! Prayers sent!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Just heard the bad news today. Tony's death will leave a void for outdoor spokesmen. When you hook a good one or bag that rooster on a special day, take a bit of time to reflect on the good he did and others like him, so that all of us can enjoy this wonderfull outdoors.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Its a very sad day for sportsmen everywhere. Whether watching his tv show, listening to him on the radio, or reading his articles, its almost like I got to know him even though we never met. God bless his family.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts