North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Thought about September Canadas

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  adokken 
The season is necessary to specifically target resident Canada Geese. Later in the season you have migrants moving in and these do not have the the same concerns the state has with the local geese. In fact, there is some danger in years where we have an early migration. The smaller Canada Geese that migrate through early sometimes start coming through on the tail end of the early season. The USFWS watches this closely, and if we would start harvesting too many of the little Canada's, they could potentially close the early season down to protect the little ones. This seems to be the best way to selectively harvest the resident geese. I would think we probably are harvesting more, as I shoot more geese now with the early season. Even if we were shooting the same number of geese, their should be a higher proportion of resident canada geese harvested. I also like it as it lengthens our waterfowl opportunities. By the way, nonresidents can and could hunt the early canada season. Very few did as these days would count against their time limit, and very few would want to do that as most can hunt early season canada geese in their own home state, and they don't want to give up their regular season time when they can shoot snows and ducks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.