North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
19,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just listening to FOX news report that the IRS was considering revoking the tax free status of churches. They say that some pastors were informing church members of which candidates held positions contrary to christian belief. Isn't it odd they had no problem with liberals like Clinton, Jesse Jackson, reverend Wright etc expressing their opinions in a church. They only became concerned when conservative pastors begin to speak. I think a congregation has the right to know which candidate believes contrary to them. This is clearly a violation of the principles of separation of church and state, and more importantly the 1st amendment.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think a congregation has the right to know which candidate believes contrary to them. This is clearly a violation of the principles of separation of church and state, and more importantly the 1st amendment.
Plainsman: You're wrong. The federal law prohibits a church from endorsing a specific candidate. There is a difference between pointing out a candidate's positions on key issues and explicitly telling church members who to vote for. Frankly, I'm amazed that a pastor would ever be egotistical enough to presume to know God's will.

On the flipside, if a church wants to take political positions, they have every right to do so. However, they simply need to renounce their tax-free status. What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
BigDaddy said:
Frankly, I'm amazed that a pastor would ever be egotistical enough to presume to know God's will.
Not sure if I am misunderstanding you or what on this one BD, but where I come from with a Christian back ground, the Pastor is supposed to inform the congregation as to the will of God.

·
Administrator
19,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MSG Rude said:
BigDaddy said:
Frankly, I'm amazed that a pastor would ever be egotistical enough to presume to know God's will.
Not sure if I am misunderstanding you or what on this one BD, but where I come from with a Christian back ground, the Pastor is supposed to inform the congregation as to the will of God.
Same here Rude.

BigDaddy, they were not telling them how to vote, the were telling them what the person stands for and how it fits in with Christian belief. It's not egotistical, it is clerical responsibility.

The other point I was making was the hypocrisy involved when they never threaten the churches that outright endorse candidates like Obama's church in Chicago.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You can inform your congregants on God's take on the issues, but you can't outright endorse a candidate. The only reason this is going disproportionately against Republicans is that FAR more churches agree with the Republican platform, at the moment. I mean, when's the last time you heard the term "Religious Left"?

I like the rule. Once you endorse a candidate you become a political organization... now, you're still a church, but you're also a political organization. If you want to pay the taxes, endorse whoever you want.

·
Registered
898 Posts
MSGRude wrote:

I don't think so. I'm Lutheran and have never asked my pastor to inform me about the will of God. The pastor's job is to point people to the scripture so that they can ascertain God's will for themselves.

Plainsman wrote:
BigDaddy, they were not telling them how to vote, the were telling them what the person stands for and how it fits in with Christian belief. It's not egotistical, it is clerical responsibility.
Not true. Check out this URL: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/09/29/carroll.pulpit.politics.cnn. In these videos, the pastor is not simply telling people about a candidate's position, but directly telling the congregation members who to vote for. Big difference. That's the difference between endorsing a candidate and simply providing people with the necessary information to make up their own minds.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
The pastors have to walk a very thin line when talking about politics. My stepdad was a pastor and I had a "support our troops" sign in our yard and church members got mad because the pastor has to remain neutral at all time. That also nixed my Bush/Chaney sign too. Even though he lost his job due to very dirty politics and he is currently looking for a job I still cannot have my signs in our yard.

Church are very full of politics so they all should have to pay taxes. :******:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I say shut them all down (the churches and organized religion).

·
Registered
644 Posts
If they want to go after a Church for talking about politics then they should go after any school that spews their bias as well. This would be bad news for the liberals. My daughter came home the other day and said she liked Obama because her economics teacher had told her that Obama's economic plan was better than McCain's. They didn't debate it, they didn't discuss it, they just campaigned for the liberal. So I guess this is teaching?

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Well at least your daughter didn't full heartedly convert to liberalism after month college like my gf. She said that all that they teach in UMD :eyeroll:

·
Administrator
19,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ruger1 said:
I say shut them all down (the churches and organized religion).
Ruger1 the constitution is freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. :D You would have to be against the United States constitution to get to where you want to be. That would be very dangerous. Loose one amendment and which is next?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.