North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out scoutin for geese and mallards flyin earlier today and I found a few fields that looked promising for the next couple days, but the posted signs were old and not updated. I know its legal to hunt the land if the signs aren't updated, but I also knows its not the right thing to do. Is it just a matter of hit or miss for most hunters on finding good land? I'm kinda new to hunting so any advice would be helpful!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
If you know the intent of the posters, you should not hunt the land. You could and should get pinched for tresspass if you do. Talk to the landowners. Not all posters mean no hunting, some just want to know who is out there.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Call the landowners. I talked to the CO today about it and he said even if its not posted legally, the intention is still there so if you took it to court you would lose. Every land owner I have talked to this year has been very nice and has let me on their land. I even had a guy the said no to me earlier this year call me back and said it is ok and I can go out for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
236 Posts
All you can really do is give the land owner a call. It depends on the area but alot of farmers that I have cam across want waterfowl hunters out shooting the birds out of the fields! Its not worth hunting the field w/out dated signs and geting some farmer all bent out of shape. That would just cause trouble for everyone.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
If there a sign, whether its signed and dated, or not, new this year, or 20 years old..get permission..or stay the hell out of the field.

I will guarantee a ****** off landowner if you disrespect the intent of a posted sign. (new or old)

Get permission or find another area its not hard to do..

You hunting that land could cause the landowner to not let respectful hunters ( who ask permission) on the property in the future.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If the signs are old and the name has worn away or is unreadable I usually just go to the nearest farm house and ask if they know who owns it. You could also buy a plat book at the courthouse that shows who owns the land. Tracking down landowners isn't easy, no doubt...often impossible if you are wanting to hunt the next morning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would second the book at the court house or go to the nearest farm house and find out. We had a situation last year that a feild we wanted to hunt was posted. While just glassing the feild and taking pics a local farmer approached saying we were more than welcome to hunt. We told him we tried to find and contact the owner for permission since it was posted but had no luck. The farmer became furious. He had not posted his land to the hunters. So others must have done it trying to keep others out and all for themselves. So sometimes it good to go in person and put a face with the voice. We have been hunting North Dakota for eigh years now and have to say that 99% of the locals are great people so dnt be afraid to meet a new friend. Good luck and good hunting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts