North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Since this early canadian season is over I was curious what everyone thought about it. Since it opened significantly earlier than past years, what was everyones overall opinions and success with it? I personally think it was quite a good idea. Well basically only because they added more time for the late winter season on the missouri, and also because they added sunday to an all day event as opposed to it closing at 1 p.m Because sometimes its not even worth going out when the birds get off the water once a day and it happens to be well after shooting time. But with the early season opening up earlier I sure noticed it being a heck of a lot warmer and less enjoyable while I was swatting mosquitos the whole time. But overall I think it was a good idea and we will see how that extra time will help us out. What does everyone else think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Around here the two weeks in August were a waste of time. Few fields were harvested and very few birds were moving around or even in evidence. I think many were still molting...

Didn't even get into birds until the first week of September...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
First two weeks were mediocre for me. Last two were pretty awesome. I hope they change it back to Sept 1st next year, my wallet is already begging for mercy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,054 Posts
Team shocker took down 178 geese this early season, Couldnt really have asked for anything better. I am a fan of the August season, all in all the mosquitos wernt bad at all, and the temps were nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Glad you guys did well.

Do you guys that had better success at the end of early season think that the unusually cold weather pushed migrants in or the locals became more accessable later on?

I might have to make a budget trip up there next Aug....Honda civic, a trunk full of silos and some layout strapped to the roof. :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Down on the south end of the state we have are best luck later because the availabilty of fields. Not because the migrators have moved down. Where i hunt normaly i dont see mirgators until october
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Large munsterlander1 said:
Down on the south end of the state we have are best luck later because the availabilty of fields. Not because the migrators have moved down. Where i hunt normaly i dont see mirgators until october
The availability of fields I think played a big part in the hunts. In the central part of the state I hunted one weekend there were many harvested fields, then the next day I was in the eastern part where hardly any were cut, but when you found one that was cut=geese and you could already bet there were people hunting it. But the last few weekends we had were great for knocking them outta the sky, it was some of the best hunting we had! :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
For the way the birds acted and worked throughout the early season I'd say it definitely came in like a cat and left as a lion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
I think that the early season was a huge success! I agree with everyone that the last two weeks were much better, but all in all it was probably the best our group has ever done! 204 DOWN!!! And I still want to shoot more!! Its an addicting/expensive sport! haha :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Myles J Flaten said:
I think that the early season was a huge success! I agree with everyone that the last two weeks were much better, but all in all it was probably the best our group has ever done! 204 DOWN!!! And I still want to shoot more!! Its an addicting/expensive sport! haha :lol:
Ya expensive only kind of when you have to travel at least 45 miles before you hit a decent pothole or a field ha. but yes expensive is to say the least! just the gas part....shells are damn expensive too now....since I'm hooked on black cloud....whats next hevi shot? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Everything we shot in Sept were locals. Some were so young they still had brown necks & white cheeks weren't fully in...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
I think if the harvest would have came off normal there would have been more places to hunt. Instead most of the birds right away stayed close to the roost. In the beginning of the season I didn't like it, but once we hit September the birds got easier to find away from the roost so it was better hunting. I hope they keep the season in August but at the same time if the do I might run out of money. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,065 Posts
The amount of migrators was extremely suprising. I couldn't believe how many geese came down so early. The fact that we are seeing snows and blues and lessers, and the tiniest of cacklers means there must be some serious push into the states. My friend up on the border has been seeing a lot more birds coming accross, and roosts that had 50 are now up to 400. That is one thing that GNF will have to evaluate. You know if they did more banding, they could probably figure that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
goosebusters said:
You know if they did more banding, they could probably figure that out.
True... it would also help if clowns wouldn't set up in the next field over from the banding site just to fill the lanyard.

But we don't need band recoveries to know that every year there is a good migration of birds sometime during the early season. I think they may have figured it out already, which is why they opened the season in mid-August.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,113 Posts
CuttinDaisies said:
goosebusters said:
You know if they did more banding, they could probably figure that out.
True... it would also help if clowns wouldn't set up in the next field over from the banding site just to fill the lanyard.

But we don't need band recoveries to know that every year there is a good migration of birds sometime during the early season. I think they may have figured it out already, which is why they opened the season in mid-August.
Not too mention these banding site hunters are probably the same guys who should know better yet are killing lessers during the early season and posting up the pics and bragging about it..

If this keeps up you can bet in the future the season won't be into September much, if at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,113 Posts
goosebusters said:
dblkluk said:
Not too mention these banding site hunters are probably the same guys who should know better yet are killing lessers during the early season and posting up the pics and bragging about it..
But can you blame someone for shooting lessers, it is completely within their rights to do.
Yes I can if they know full well that they are lessers. (which is not hard to do.)
Any waterfowler who claims to be "hardcore" should know all too well why we have the early season...
For resident birds.

If a lesser gets taken out accidently..I won't point fingers, but when there are guys who are pulling the trigger on lessers just to add one more bird to the "pile" for pictures..
I'll call it out all day long.
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top