North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got lucky and was issued a ND Tundra Swan permit this season.

I was out the other day and had four come in and they were actually too far out so I let them land. Then, shortly thereafter, seven or eight more joined them, again too far out for a shot.

Now I got this permit that says I can bag one swan and tag it and process it or mount it or whatever, and there I am, hunkered in the cattails watching these swans paddling around a long, long, gunshot away. The majority in each of these little bunches are grey colored birds and each group has a pair of big, white birds in too.

So I'm sitting there thinking that here is a nice swammy family out for a stroll and I'm thinking about shooting one. Errrr.... I don't know. Just don't seem right to me.

Anyone else ever feel this way about game or am I just turning into a big softy?

Good hunting,
Dan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
dfisher,

Sometimes watching is more fun than shooting. Particularly with waterfowl. But last Wednesday I passed up a third rooster three times before finally taking the last bird of the day. Probably wouldn't have shot that one but our young dog did too good a job to not reward her with some feathers in the mouth.

Nothing wrong with a little watching.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is nothing better than watching waterfowl come into your spread. Waterfowl hunting is sometimes a great challenge. Sometiomes you cant believe that the flock of 100 snow geese are coming into your spread. Its a beautiful site. I have heard about people shooting wood ducks during opening and they said it felt weird that they were actually being able to take one of those beautiful birds. It is all about enjoying the outdoors, although swans make some good jerky!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
teamflightstoppers said:
There is nothing better than watching waterfowl come into your spread. Waterfowl hunting is sometimes a great challenge. Sometiomes you cant believe that the flock of 100 snow geese are coming into your spread. Its a beautiful site. I have heard about people shooting wood ducks during opening and they said it felt weird that they were actually being able to take one of those beautiful birds. It is all about enjoying the outdoors, although swans make some good jerky!
You're absolutely right about that. There are too many who are out to shoot. The shooting is great too, but I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said it's just great to watch them work. Nothing like working a flock of mallards with the call in my book. That's the best. The spring snows with the electronic caller is very exciting as well! I think, the older I get, the shooting is pretty much anti-climatic. I think that is one reason I am addicted to waterfowling. Though the gun is always loaded and I've on aversion to shooting, I just gotta see what's going on out there at this time of the year.

Thanks for the reply.
Dan

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Large munsterlander1 said:
I hate shooting pairs that mate for life.
They will remate you know. Very few animals mate truly "for life". If something happens to one, the other will keep on keeping on.

Ive just never seen the satisfaction of whacking a swan other than maybe for the wall. I mean, basically their just a big goose when it boils down to it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
when you get a few miles behind you, the kill isn't the only thing...has been written about a bunch, the phases of a hunter--from zestfull youth to reflective old age.

seems like you got your money's worth from this experience...which is more than enough. If you get another chance, and take a swan, then you will have another experience to relish--one that includes the meal!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I don't think it's a matter of turning soft at all. You went out with the intent to harvest a bird, but ended up getting a thrill out of the hunt without taking a bird. In the end, that's what it's all about. Experiencing the outdoors and what it has to offer. I found myself doing the same thing my last trip to ND. I could've easily limited out on Gadwals and Shovlers, but watched the majority of them suck into the decoys and I watched them for a good period of time swim around.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If I was going to mount it.. and had a tag I wouldnt think twice about it.. You never see anyone put a tag on the wall..

I wouldnt get a tag and shoot one just to eat it.. I think you need to man up and pull the trigger!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts