North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done with a 3 day hunt which is the most my 2 1/2 year old lab has ever done. Needless to say, today he is sore and appears to have a couple tender pads/paws. He is limping a little and doesn't want to put much weight on one of his back legs. He isn't whining or anything. I think he is just sore and tender. Any suggestions on how to help him out? I have read to give him baby aspirin to help with the soreness. Any other suggestions? I already feed him high performance pro plan, so the nutrition piece should be taken care of.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
rest him and put cortisone creme on his raw spots forget the aspirin

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a product called TUFF FOOT on my dogs pads eveyday for about a week before a long hunt and never had an issue with sore pads it works.

As far as the limp, go to the vet and get some Rimadyl its like motrin. I also keep some Tramadol on hand which is morphene for dogs. Incase of an injury and can't get to the vet or its over the weekend and can't aford the emergancy vet bill.

A weeks rest and your dog should be back in business.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I always give Rimadyl to my older dog on a long hunt 50mg in the morning and 50 mg at night . I feel it helps with the discomfort and makes them rest better. Now if you have a hurt dog it will only make the injory worse. Sounds like you just have a dog that was over used and not quiet in the shape he or she could have been prior to hunting season, a little rest and he/she should be back to normal.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Rimadyl & rest... I aways have Rimadyl on hand...

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Never ever give your dog asprin! Asprin thins the blood and if your dog has ingested anything that could cause a tear in their digestive tract you could end up with a dog bleeding from the inside out. I don't know of any vets that would recommend giving asprin to a dog!

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Yep aspirin is very dangerous for dogs, I would let him heal on his own with rest and find a new vet if he recommended it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I might add roadwork on gravel or asphalt in the off season. He'll develop pads like the bottom of a rhino's foot...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Muscle soreness is sometimes a result of lactic acid buildup. Vitamin C will help the acid to release from the muscles and alleviate soreness. Works well for us two legged dogs too!
Burl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts