North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any snowmobilers here?

I would like to know how you guys put your sleds up for the off season. I just got back into
machines this past winter (after many years) and bought a couple of "90" Indy Sports and a "94"
Indy Wide Trak. I sure could use some advice on how to store them.

I drained the gas out of them, refilled with fresh stuff and treated it with Sta-Bil according to the
directions on the bottle. Then I fired them up and let 'em run for 5 full minutes to make sure the
new gas ran completely through the carbs.

My question is: Is it best to fog them and then shut them off - leaving the treated gas in the carbs?
Or should I shut the gas off - run the carbs dry, pour oil down the spark plug holes and then turn
'em over a few times?

A friend of mine owns a Cat and he said his dealer told him it is unnecessary to fog machines if
you run the carbs dry because when they run out of gas the injectors shoot extra oil into the mix
and it automatically coats everything. He also said by doing this you do not leave gas sitting in
the carbs all summer that will evaporate leaving gunk in the carbs. Could this be true???

Any input would be MUCH appreciated!

Dr. Bob

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Bob on 2002-04-28 02:05 ]

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Dr. Bob,
I would shut off the gas and let the carbs run dry or I would drain the carbs by removing the drain plug on the float bowls. I would put some oil in the cylinders anyway. Sta-bil is an excellent product and will keep your gas just fine for the summer. YOu may not have to do anything if you added Sta-bil. But to be safe (anal) I would take the other precautions too. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert,

How are the snowmobile trails down your way???

Just Kidding :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks a lot,

Dr. Bob

P.S. What are you doing down there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts