North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys ihave hunted inthe southwest for years nowand have never ran across any snakes i was just wondering should i be worried about it or just hunt we are usually hunting around halloween time thanks

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
NEVER seen a snake during Pheasant Season and I've hunted plenty of river bottoms. Would love to hear if anybody has seen one in the SW during pheasant season. I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I ran into a rattler last year second weekend of pheasant season. It was a nice, warm day and I was climbing a rocky butte to gain some high ground and look for turkeys. Mr/Ms. snake was sunning himself on the rocks. I wasn't where I would expect to see a pheasant but the snake was still out.

I would expect by Halloween the temperatures have dipped enough they aren't out. Just stay away from the rocks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wouldn't the grasslands and or badlands be the most likely place to find Rattlers in the West/SW regardless of the time of year? and that country is not exactly typical pheasant country. When temps consistently stay at or below 50 degrees the snakes most likely will be heading to if not already in their dens for the season.

Sure would like to hear from anyone who has had an rare encounter with a rattler in Phez country though....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time west and south of Bismarck during upland season and a few weekends before season. I keep a good eye on the dog, stay away from rocks and walk with REAL heavy footsteps untill the firstgood freeze. Acording to my friends who live where I go they kill several every year. I see a snake I am going to start hunting pheasants in the Wallaha area!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Come on out to Southeast GA we get to kill them year round. I had one at my bow stand with the frost on the ground. We see plenty in the winter here. The 11 seasons that I have hunted out west I have never came across a snake, hopefully never will.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My father inlaw's shorthair was bitten when he was at Sakakawea this summer. The dog almost did not make it. He spent a ton of money to keep it alive. Also know of a guy that got bitten this summer around Linton.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
you can get your dog vaccinated for around 30.00 and it helps a lot if they get bitten

I saw one in Kansas when it was really cold out sunning near a hole

·
Registered
22 Posts
A friend of mine was hunting out by Mott, and the weather had warmed up for a few days. The snakes were out in full force in this CRP field. His dog got bitten in the throat and they were able to save him, but it was very expensive.

They killed one very large rattlesnake, but there were a couple more that got away. Judging by the bite marks, the large one bit the dog.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I've hunted Mott/Regent in 80 degree weather...Never seen a snake. I wouldn't think CRP is where the snakes would be...Very interesting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rick thats why i statred this post just because of what you posted ive hunted mott/regent areas since1992 and have never ran across a snake butt have allways herd they are there but the landowner i hunt on has a pretty good size butte on his property and he says every now and again there is a lion that passes through which is the worst ???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.