North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard around the stores and other forums a debate about wether single reed or double reed calls are better. Personally, my first call was a double that seemed to stick, but it was also a $6 call. Since this first encounter with double's, i've used a single. I'm looking for another call now and are interested in what you all have to say about the single vs. double reed debate. Do they still have problems sticking? What do you recommend in a call for a $20-$30 budget? I'm also interrested in any suggestions, etc on calling, because my calling is pretty weak and i'm hoping to do some work on improving it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I use both single and double reeds, and I prefer double. Although some doubles do stick once in awhile. For $20-$30 bucks I would go with an Echo poly or a Primo's wench. Both good calls. I have locked plenty of redlegs up with both calls. As for better calling, practice until you nearly pass-out. Then do it again. Air pressure, and being able to regulate it is the key to calling. There are also video tapes on calling. "The Art of Commanding ducks" by Phil Robertson is a good one, and there are others. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I started off on a double reed but now only use single reeds. For shooting ducks double reeds work fine and are easier to learn on but they don't have anywhere near the range a single reed has.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just go with one of each. I usually use my single because that's what I'm used to but there's a time when the double will be a welcomed piece on the lanyard. The soft, true-to-life sounds can really help on pressured birds, especially in the midseason when the locals are smart and the migrators are still north. But on some windy days, if I wouldn't of had a single reed, I would have gone home empty handed.

That's just my opinion
Good luck

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I started out blowing a double, but for the wide open areas I hunt, a single seems to work better. A single is a little tougher to learn but well worth the effort. A single reed allows me to get louder and attract distant birds. A double works good for softer, close in work. I blow a BGB single, this call is a more expensive call, but I can get the high end of a single reed and decent low end when I need it. I would recommend a primos as a good starter call. Remember, practice, practice, practice, and not just while hunting!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Double reed vs single reed is just like asking Benelli vs Beretta. You will have success with both types of calls, but you have to find out what works best with you and the conditions you hunt in. I have the best luck with a single reed, but I hunt a lot in cold weather where a double may tend to freeze up. I have hunted with a double, and I feel that they are a little harder to learn, but give you a good call when you figure them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts