North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had this happen besides this past weekend. I was in the field where they were feeding, even the exact spot they were feeding in the night prior and I was having geese short stopping me by 100 yards. I even had one set of 20 come straight in on a string then all of a sudden bolt and land 100 yards west of me. I know it wasn't that the blinds weren't well hidden enough or my calling was bad. Any ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That kind of thing happened to us last weekend as well. We had top of the line full bodies set up on the spot in the field they were in the night before and they came in and landed at the other end of the field. Really tough wind coming in from behind us and I think they just set down in the closest spot in the field in their flight path, which was the other end from us. Very cool to see a few thousand geese coming in over the horizon to where you are. We did get a few and a great hunt nonetheless.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeah that happened to us a few days ago, we set up the decoys where they were feeding the past few days, you could even see the footprints. they were coming in pretty thick but just landing short, after a while we decided to move the decoys to a wider "U". still nothing...

·
Registered
151 Posts
How many decoys did you have out? I've had this happened when on the X and i was using any where from 3-8 dozen decoys. When i know i'm on the X i started using a 6-18 decoys and works great. Also i keep my calling to a min because you are already where they want to be and usually the more you do they more chances you have to screw something up.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
kberggren said:
How many decoys did you have out? I've had this happened when on the X and i was using any where from 3-8 dozen decoys. When i know i'm on the X i started using a 6-18 decoys and works great. Also i keep my calling to a min because you are already where they want to be and usually the more you do they more chances you have to screw something up.
SHHHHHH :gag:

It may have something to do with the pressure the birds are recieving! They learn real quick!

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
kberggren said:
SHHHHHH :gag:

It may have something to do with the pressure the birds are recieving! They learn real quick!
*ahem*

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had 6 dozen out. I was only hunting with one other guy in a soy bean field but the blinds were hidden as well as you can in a soy bean field. My spread was in a W formation stretching at least 50 yrds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
flagging and timing can help draw the geese up to your spread. make sure when you call you dont overcall and have the right cadence. i have had that happen before to. sometimes if your decoys arent set up right the geese seem to shy away. them dang things can be picky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.