North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how everyone do today? My group of 3 went out this morning to a slough we had gotten permission to hunt this year. On the way out in the dark we had ducks getting up for at least 5 min straight. Expectations where very high and they came true. We shot 15 Mallards 1 Pintail and 2 woodducks by 10am. When we were picking up the dekes at least 300 more ducks came in all at once from the feeding fields. Hope everyone had a good weekend and let us all know.

Get down boys here they come
TAKE EM!

·
Registered
50 Posts
well boys, the morning didnt start as well as expected. We got to our field at 5 am....saw 2 vehicles pull into a pasture by a slough the birds were roosting on shortly after 5. Once we got to our field we realized they scared all the birds off as we heard birds all around us. The birds got up off the water again at 715 and were so jumpy they barely decoyed into our field. We had teh guys in teh pasture shooting everything imaginable that were headed right toward us that royaly ****** me off. They had 4 guys, 1 e caller, and 1 dozen outlaws setup...IN A PASTURE. They almost got a bullet in teh *** i was so ****** off. We ended up with 4 canadians, 3 snows, and 8 ducks between 2 of us. These guys that got between us and the roost.....if you read this....remember one thing, get up early to beat us to our spot or go around the roost to your spot...THERE WERE 2 TRAILS!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Let the invasion begin!
Guys everywhere in the area I was hunting. I guess I should have known better than to hunt a traditional area on the NR opener, but today was rediculous. We has it all, spreads in the field with us, guys pass shooting birds as they flew into our field, guys hunting the roost with boats, you imagine it, we had it. Ended up with 8 mallards for 3 guys. We also missed some opportunities, but for the number of ducks this field had, it should have been an easy limit of birds. We had numerous times where we had small groups of ducks working the decoys, and someone would shoot at them on a wide pass. Sounded like world war three this morning at first light. The ducks will definitely be scattered after this weekend. We were in southern Nelson county.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
GB3, Gander Grinder, a roomate of his and some VC local (who we meet for the first time) set up and pulled 13 geese and 5 drakes this morning. It was a hot morning and the geese were acting a little weary, but then there was a sh&t pot of shot coming from all over! Birds are deffinitly getting smarter!
Lot's of lessors coming through which wsa good to SEE but not shoot. They were a lot more skiddish and didn't decoy well!

Lot's of hunters!

Mav....

·
Registered
50 Posts
no dosch, i was in mid benson county...

I hear what your sayin decoyer, i saw almost everything imaginable today also, its terrible and these guys were resident hunters. I also saw hunters EVERYWHERE today. Its gettin crazy, hopefully the pheasent opener pulls them south of teh area im hunting.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Bartmann...an ecaller?????

Why didn't you call the TIP number???

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Last year I chewed a guy out that was useing an E-caller. Dumb *** was from Wisconson. IDIOTS!!!! :******: :******: :******:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would report someone using an e caller rather than chew them out.Hit them where it hurts,there wallet.Also,if you dont have your phone with you,take the license number off of there truck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went out this morning to same slough as yesterday and had another great shoot. Me and a friend were done by 9am and should have been done by 8am if we could shoot better. We ended up with 10 mallards 1 Woodduck and 1 Pintail. Taking next weekend off to go shoot some roosters. Have a good week all.

Get down boys here they come
TAKE EM!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
My weekend was pretty good. We harvested 28 honkers, 13 on sat and 15 this morning. I got a feeling this warm weather will really make the geese act weird.

·
Registered
285 Posts
:withstupid: Overall, it was a great weekend. Put the grind on a lot of birds and had a few laughs as well. Should have shot the limit of honks on Sat except Goosebuster3 didn't know how to put shells in that new SuperX2. Bah Bah Bah Bah.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Got up this mornng and left for a "quick" 2 hour drive to the middle of zone 1. Like reported before the sloughs have mostly dried out and are just plain gone. Just after sun up I remembered an area that used to have a hidden slough. I parked the car and took 5 floaters and the spinner. Slough was in a pasture that had been grazed down by the cattle. I threw the floaters close to shore and put spinner just out into water. Then pulled grass and thistles for quick blind. The ducks came back to the slough every 10-15 minutes. All circled and keyed on the spinner and came over the 20 yards I was from the waters edge. Missed on some easy shots but connected on a nice drake widgeon, drake mallard, 2 gadwalls and two green wings on one shot. One of the simplist and most enjoyable mornings of the season. By the way....the remaining water in the area I hunted had a truck close to just about every pothole. not much shooting going on. No way are there the numbers of ducks as in years past.
This was the northern part of zone 1.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Ditto Decoyer. Yesterday the best one, IMO, was the guy that snuck up on the slough and was trying to pass shoot the ducks that had committed to our spread.....or maybe the guys who were on the other side of the field and shot in the air when they saw a duck commit to our spread and not theirs....you've just got to wonder. Never again on opener.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had a great weekend! We had three father/grown son combinations and had a blast together. Nothing like being with family and friends in the field.

We field hunted north of Michigan on Saturday morning and had 30 mallards, mostly drakes, by 9:00 AM. :D Also got a widgeon and a hen pintail. We hit a different field this morning and it wasn't quite as hot, but with only 5 of us today, we got 15 mallards in the field, and a snow. Then we picked up a widgeon and another hen pintail in a pothole before heading in. All in all, a really excellent weekend!

Good luck for the rest of the season to everyone!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Decoyer i hear you all the way. Jones, Pj and his dad, Phil and his dad, and i had the same thing happen to us. Phil and I were out in the field and these guys pulled right up and started setting out their decoys. I had never seen anything like it. Pj and Phil said that was nothing compared to what happens in Minnesota, but holy sh*t there was 2 other groups w/in 500-600 yards of us. And to make it worse we were the first ones there. It may have been nothing compared to minnesota hunting, but it was the worst ive seen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Man did the birds clear out up hear. There was ducks in every slough this past week. After this weekend they really cleared out. There was sloughs that ALWAYS have mallards in them and there were none. Just to much pressure. Anyone else find the same thing?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Same thing for us. Hunted by Jamestown and it was pretty crazy.I'll save you the fiddle and just say I saw a lot of things that would make your stomach turn.I called the warden on two different groups for using an ecaller alone,and another on a group I watched hiding ducks in the ditch(looked to be double dipping)Some guy was going 90 mph down the HW and his duckboat was swaying like crazy all over the road.It came inches from hitting my truck as they passed on by.I was so upset I followed the guy and he ended up pulling right up to the roost we were field hunting by.I chose the backup plan and got the heck out of there.The backup spot had 3 groups so I just drove around the countryside taking it all in.

No offense to any NR, resident, G/O or anyone else (I have no problem with other hunters), but for crying out loud something has to be done to alleviate the pressure.The zones are a joke in my opinion, I travelled through both of them. I'm done hunting in October, going fishing instead (which isn't exactly safe either). :cry:

I'll get off my soapbox now, I just wish the future looked brighter.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Man you guys need to email this stuff to the governor!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts