North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend a lot of time scouting at home and plan on doing more scouting than I ever have while in ND. Can anyone please give me some scouting advice. I am sure scouting techniques are different out there than they are here in the southeast.
For example, if there are ducks using a field late in the evening, will they return there in the morning? What would be the best thing to do when a large number of ducks are found in a field/slough as far as hunting them the next day.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cedar creek

I would say that 99% of the time if ducks were in a particular field the night before that they will return the next mornig. If they were shot off of that field in the evening there might be a chance that they would not return the next day. Alot of the times I find the field in the evening and return to it in the mornig and set up and have good success.

·
Registered
173 Posts
C.C.

If you scout and see ducks / geese on a lake, stream, pothole or lake ask yourself why. Why are they there in that particular place? Is it food or are they there trying to stay out of the wind? Which way is the wind blowing from? Is it a a larger slough or lake? If it is, why are they on the south side vs. the north side? What time of the day did you see them there? OK, now that you have located the area, which way did they come from? Which way are they going to fly out to? Well the later is easy, just walk towards them and chase them and see which way they go. If you don't shoot, they usually come back if there is more than say 50 birds. To observe where they come from, go at sunrise and figure it out. Then observe how they leave and come back to the water. Did some of them go and land on a field or another pothole? Many times, I've chase ducks off of a pothole only to discover that there was a much larger find when I saw where the ducks went to.

These are the key questions to my success in scouting areas during or before the season begins. Although I do not have a lot of field hunting experience, this is how I've hunted sloughs in Utah, Colorado, Minnesota and North Dakota and it seems to work pretty well. Any questions, PM me at any convenience to you.

SJB
Colorado

1 - 3 of 3 Posts