North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from northern Saskatchewan. Hunted geese in the Shellbrook area. Fair numbers of locally hatched geese, but duck numbers are very poor - - - essentially none!! We shot less than half the number of geese we had in previous years, although still satisfactory hunting. Very, very dry up here!! And duck numbers testify to this. DO NOT expect much of a duck flight from Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would say you were about 2-3 weeks early in planning your trip. No migration, too far north to get many ducks other than a few locals. 60 miles south and you probably would have seen 100s of mallards. At least that is what my sources have been telling me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decoyer - have hunted the "Northern Game Bird District" for close to 20 years now, hunting in several different areas of that northern district.

My observation is that the low water conditions not only hatched very few local ducks, but will not stop many of the migrating flight. And, to make matters worse, the water conditions do not get any better in the Southern part of the province. I stopped at 2 Ducks Unlimited offices questioning if there WERE any areas with water that held ducks, and they said only the Northeast, and that not much better.

By the way, I was dismayed at the current Ducks Unlimited magazine that stated Saskatchewan total duck number were up 162% fromn 2002 (page 57 of Sep/Oct issue). I just do not see this!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts