North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start fishing for salmon off the shore on the lake opposite the tail race. Just wondering if anybody has any tips on where to go, when to go, and what to use? Could use the help, timdog.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I was up there a week ago and people were fishing with salmon eggs from shore. I guess it works pretty well... ideally you get salmon eggs from females while cleaning them. Other than that you can cast rapalas from the edge too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
went up there monday and tuesday, and it was really slow. packed with people and fish. problem is, nobody was catching them. tailrace walleyes haven't started yet either. should pick up before too long. hopefully soon!!!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Would you two fellows keep us to date on your trips-please? I'll never make it because of soybeans but I love to hear about it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Were there many people fishing the tailrace? I was thinking of going this weekend. I'm been going about every two weeks the last month and half... and you're right. Walleyes are pretty slow.

Any salmon?

·
Registered
288 Posts
My hunting partner got 6 salmon last weekend (4 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday). With the biggest being around 11lbs. They were pulling #7 and #8 shad raps (black and silver and fire tiger) around the marina and out in front of the state park. He had a pretty good weekend, shot ducks and geese in the morning and catch salmon in the afternoon.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thats great to hear. I'm going out there the weekend after next... might be getting late for salmon fishing. Not sure how long they go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts