North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Scientific studies hade shown that deer in each area generally have peak breeding during the same timer frame each year, and it lasts about 3 weeks. It has nothing to do with the moon, it is photoperiodic (number of light hours each day).

However, unseasonably warm weather may cause the deer to become nocturnal. Wet or windy weather may cause them to stay in areas protected from the wind or rain. Cloudy skies may cause them to move earlier and later than normal when there are clouds.

Hunting pressure, and the availability and whereabouts of preferred food also affect deer movement.

If you ain't there, you can't get one - so get out, scout hard, and hunt harder.

God bless,

T.R.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Yep what he said!! One could write books filling in between the lines but that really isn't necessary. Good post TR. :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Its fun knowing all the stuff I have learned about the mighty whitetail. I only put a 5% separation between myself and a whitetail deer or any other warm blooded breathing creature. I feel what they feel, plus the evolved human emotions.

I believe we have learned much since mankinds creation and when the anger within the sons of Adam and Eve brought guilt to one who would kill a brother. We have far to go.

From whence to hence I'm gonna rock the whitetail world in about 8 days. :lol:

Good luck TR. :)

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
definitely agree with you TR. I have seen that real good pre-rut activity with a fair amount of chasing happens every year in our area in about a week. Yes the weather can heat things up or slow things down. The best advice anyone can give a person wondering when the rut starts or when would be the best time to hunt the rut....just get out and hunt!

·
Registered
394 Posts
So no one here believes Charles Alsheimer's theory that the second full moon after the autumnal equinox is the rut's triggering mechanism?

Here's the link if you're not familiar with it:
http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/moon.html

buckseye said:
I only put a 5% separation between myself and a whitetail deer......I feel what they feel....
So are you saying that you're getting the urge to do some rubbing, scraping and chasing yourself?? :p :wink:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
So are you saying that you're getting the urge to do some rubbing, scraping and chasing yourself??
Yes sir, I've been in rut since I was 14 or so. I just love all that rubbing and scraping and chasing... that be 4play to me.

A question..is forethought the same as foreplay? :D

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
buckseye said:
A question..is forethought the same as foreplay? :D
I guess the answer to that would be the same to this; are you home alone? :D

BTW, DodgeLynn is now in the bait pile....Lord help us!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I guess the answer to that would be the same to this; are you home alone?
You baiters are twisted!!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Are you home alone???!!!

Next thing ya know he'll want to know what your wearing buckseye!

I guess the rut IS on.
:rollin: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The rut is most definately on in my neck of the woods(the DEER!). Heading north this weekend for a few days of heavy hunting, maybe more, if I can manage some time off work. Work is such a drag during hunting season :-?

Geez, you guys aren't going to start butting heads and kicking the dirt around are you???

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I just watched a pretty decent buck put another smaller one on the ground. The older doe was making them earn it, wouldn't you know.

Geez, you guys aren't going to start butting heads and kicking the dirt around are you
???

I sure hope not, might damage my brain. :lol:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Dang them old girls huh!!! Making them earn it and stuff! Must be worth fighting for!!

Its awesome to watch. Saw two young bucks trash talking each other but they didn't get into it. This weekend should be fun! Had the fortune of watching two Bull Moose go at it last year, that is an impressive site to see, old guy came out on top in that fight, then he got shot.

Well enjoy the rut, hope you bring home venison, happy hunting.

Crazy truck drivers at the border today..going to be a long day for me.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Had four bucks and three does within thirty yards of me tonight showing no animosity towards each other or paying any attention to the does whatsoever. Two of em showed promise, one is real unique. Mid 130's, bladed everything, heavy heavy mains with bladed kickers coming out of the bases sticking straight forward. No clear shot or I may have taken him.

·
Registered
391 Posts
One thing to clear up in my opinion is what "the rut" is. Rut activity is not the same as actual breeding right,soooo......

in Northern areas Breeding usually doesn't kick off until 8-10th of November........mabeye 11-12 is the start up in Canada/western Montana etc...... it varies a little the farther north you go. My point is there isn't a real likelyhood of receptive does until around the 10th in most areas of ND/MT/and i assume Minnesota. This will keep the big bucks smart until about that time.

As far as "Rut Activity" that begins gradually around the middle of October and increases until mid November. I feel around November 1st is when Buck travel distance increases to the point to where we may start seeing some more mature bucks getting in late to bed down etc. ....Though they still seem pretty Nocturnal in my neck of the woods.

But around the 5th things really start heating up as some of the older boys cannot control the testosterone levels and really start packing on the miles (10-20 miles daily/or nightly) this time frame the first real vulnerbility for the old boys. .....But they are still not "stupid" cause they are chasing and not breeding per se.

All patterning comes to a complete hault the minute the first Doe comes into Estrus. At this point the buck is on the does pattern....not his. So hunt the doe family units and the bucks will be near.

Daylight is the Rut Trigger.......moonphases determine how much breeding is done at night/ amount of daylight activity/ feeding times etc but have no influence on when the rut starts or ends. (neither does cold weather!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.