North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's funny how the rules change during the spring migration. I see Sqauw Creek, Mound City and every other well know location posted by name on this site in the spring. Seems like during the fall migration the rules change and we suddenly become sensative to those issues. Alot of people look at this site to see how the migration is proceeding, looking forward to thier openers. Best of luck to all, relax and enjoy the season!!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
495hp said:
It's funny how the rules change during the spring migration. I see Sqauw Creek, Mound City and every other well know location posted by name on this site in the spring. Seems like during the fall migration the rules change and we suddenly become sensative to those issues. Alot of people look at this site to see how the migration is proceeding, looking forward to thier openers. Best of luck to all, relax and enjoy the season!!!
It is an issue in the spring too, but with the way that the migration works, where it is moving so fast in the spring the reports are a day to day thing. Also, in the spring we are dealing with 5 million birds which tend to be flying across a 40 mile flight path. Right now in North Dakota we are probably dealing with 200,000 ducks spread across the entire state. Big differences in opportunity.

Many fall reports are dropping names of spots that some would hunt all season long, but after they are posted on the net and 20,000 people see "ducks near XXXX", Joe Farmer and family are forced to hang up their guns and wait for next year.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You guys, if you really want to know about bird reports personal message people who know. I have no problem telling people where there are some birds, but the thing is, look at the view counts on your threads. Honestly some of these have well over a thousand views. That is a thousand people that would know there are birds near XXXX. Pm me and I can tell you where some ducks are.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
495hp said:
Hello

I'm not sure how you feel the rules have "changed". They have been consistent. We do not name cities in North Dakota in the fall, during the open waterfowl or pheasant seasons.

This is a North Dakota website. People primarily come here to "scout" for North Dakota information, as they are looking for hunting information related specifically to North Dakota.

Spring season isn't nearly as critical, as the birds tend to fly thru very quickly, and not establish roosts and staging areas. When migrating north thru the state, they cover 60% of the state, en masse, with several million birds. Furthermore, they are extremely mobile in the spring, and only briefly stop thru as they continue on. If you find a flock of birds in one field, they will likely only be there for a couple days, at most, and likely only a few hours. Also, because it is the spring, there is open flooded fields across the entire state, thus spreading out all of the migrators, and thus the hunters, greatly reducing the overall pressure on a given area. In fact many guys from the Eastern part of the state who regularly hunt much further west in the fall, find that they only need to go a few dozen miles away from Fargo to find birds. That is a HUGE difference compared to fall.

Also, in general, North Dakota is unique in that it has open land access laws. No other state has similar rules to North Dakota, and many sportsmen flock to the state from other places to give the free lance opportunity a try.

It is a special thing, and we just want to ensure that in the fall, folks have equal opportunities at finding birds, and are not artificially influenced by others heading over to an area mentioned here.

We appreciate your undertanding on this issue.

Ryan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still think some of you are paranoid. North Dakota has some wide open spaces. Just because you mention a town I could spend days driving around and never find the same birds one might be referring to. If I am driving from out-of-state I have most likely already decided the dates and my destination. If you mention seeing a push of birds through an area, by the time I call my boss, take off work, load my truck, drive 18 hours to get there, maybe catch a nap, go scouting, find the birds near the area your referring to, get permission to hunt. The birds most likely have already been found and hunted or moved on. Don't see it as a big deal !!!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
495hp said:
Still think some of you are paranoid. North Dakota has some wide open spaces. Just because you mention a town I could spend days driving around and never find the same birds one might be referring to.
No, but one of the 500 other guys that saw the mention of said birds most likely will.

Your not the only one seeing the thread. Hundreds if not thousands are. Thats the point here.

Like GB said, use PM's. Im willing to bet most of us wouldnt squack at giving out a more detailed area than "NE part of state" in a PM. Ive done it in the past.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
495hp said:
Still think some of you are paranoid. North Dakota has some wide open spaces. Just because you mention a town I could spend days driving around and never find the same birds one might be referring to. If I am driving from out-of-state I have most likely already decided the dates and my destination. If you mention seeing a push of birds through an area, by the time I call my boss, take off work, load my truck, drive 18 hours to get there, maybe catch a nap, go scouting, find the birds near the area your referring to, get permission to hunt. The birds most likely have already been found and hunted or moved on. Don't see it as a big deal !!!
You wouldnt understand it as you are not in our shoes here.......

Ryan put it in the nicest way possible and still people dont understand. It's simple a rule, so obey it or dont let the door hit you on the way out...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
495hp said:
I'm very curious now. If we are in fact being paranoid, like you say, then why are so many people making a fuss about this rule? You even said it yourself. Mentioning town names will not help you, or the next guy out, that is how I took your post anyways. Well, why even start a thread like this? Why are there so many threads about this same topic being hashed over and over? Why are so many people *****ing about this rule if they don't have anything to gain from it????

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not knowing many folks on this forum it is difficult to know who to PM. Can a person simply post a question regarding an area or town, requesting PM responses, without causing all the ruckus?

For example, I was in ND last week and am returning this weekend to a nearby area. I would not mind an update of what things look like since I was last out. May also like to know if there was any fishing in the area but to be honest, I have been afraid to ask.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Ocean Hunter said:
And evidently the rules only apply to the duck hunting board. I was just looking at the Crane board and there were names of towns all over it without a single inflammatory response to a question.
You are beating a dead horse here.As we have stated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again the mods are doing what the majority here and the OWNER wants us to do.

As for missing a few.....yes we have missed a few.....but we have XXXXX out town names on the open forum,duck forum,canada goose forum,snow goose forum,pheasant forum,and grouse forum to name just a few.

So quit complaining and play by the rules.When they change we will let you know.

This gets old after awhile. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts