North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close can I be to a roost without shooting it out? Frist of all, I have never seen a roost, save the wildlife refuges, but if I do see one, how far away do I need to be to make sure I do not wreck it? Can a guy hunt 1/4 mile away and shoot tolling birds?

need opinions.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
In my opinion, if you're not actually shooting on and around the water the birds will still feel safe.

But if you're 1/4 mile away, you might be too close and spook the birds from coming into your field. As GB3, mentioned this especially holds true when the roost is downwind. I don't waste time scouting fields that are adjacent to roosts, after the first shot the birds will normally go out the other way.

Tough call, takes some planning and a backup spot to boot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
:D I agree with Chris on this one...as long as your not hunting the water you should be fine...We have set up several times around a huge slough back home..the ducks come off fly in our spread get shot at and head back to the same slough..then they come off later and do it all over again...since the robo duck has come out it even helps that much more..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts