North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Toro riding lawn mower that my dad gave me last summer. He had just had a tune up done and it started up on the first pull and ran perfectly every time, up until last week. It still starts up on the first pull, but will only run at idle speed for about 5-20 seconds, and then dies. It I try to raise the throttle up, it dies immediately. I have tried taking the air filter off, cleaning it, and have tried spraying carb cleaner in the carb. I think it has to be something with the carb, and plan on taking it off and apart and trying to clean it. Any other suggestions/ things to look for? . We still have a few weeks left of lawn mowing season, and I need this thing to run.

Thanks for any help.

·
1,405 Posts
Does it have a primer? If so, are you priming it and then it starts and dies out pretty quickly? I'm guessing its your carb too if thats what it is doing. Figure out what motor it has and get a carb rebuild kit. It should have a new diaphragm and some other parts with it. Make sure you watch how you take it apart so you get it back together correctly. While you are in there spray the internals with carb spray before you put it back together.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no primer. Just has a position on the throttle for choke. Starts right up, but will not stay running. I guess I will have to take it apart and see clean it up and see if that will work. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts