North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put a spread together for the Spring season instead of pass shooting.

I want to buy a decent amount of decoys to get the spread started, probably about 500 or so.

I could get 500 rhinofowl economy socks for about $900, or 500 knutsons economy socks for about $1000.

Looking for input on whether or not these decoys are an OK buy that at least have some quality. My goal is to get the spread started with this and then add about 100 silosocks to the spread per year until we have around 1000, then slowly fade out the economy socks by replacing them with silosocks or something better.

I know there are some guys out there that have used a wide variety of decoys. Does this sound like an OK plan or would I be better off with fewer decoys of a better variety (like silosocks) and increase from there?

Thanks for any input.

Chad

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
If I were you id skip both options and go straight to Sillosocks.

You can get 20 dozen econo ss's for $700, thats almost 250 dekes and I think they'd work better than twice as many regular socks. IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maple lake,
I already pmed you this but in case anyone else is looking to build a spread too. Heres my starter spread I have for sale:

210 knutsons on wood, taped holes = 210x$1=210
65 Nw, mostly blues (headed) = 65x$2=130
187 nw, half taped on black stakes = 187x$1=187
155 nw heads = 155x1.50= $232.50

Im selling to buy some full bodies!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Chad, I think that would be a great starter spread. You will deffinatally be able to kill some birds. However, I would try to buy as many sillosocks as you can and then get the rest in Knutsons ect... example..
I would think about purchasing about 20 doz economy sillosocks for about that $650 mark and spend another $500-$1,000 if you have it on socks.
Good luck
Adam

·
Registered
284 Posts
If your going to go the economy NW route make sure that you get some sort of a support system made for them. I personally don't like the sillo socks, I hunt about 45 days a year for snows and don't think they would hold up to the abuse of that many days. If I were to get rid of my fullbodies I would go to a NW with a support of some sort. Both the Knutson and Rhinofowl are good bodies and you shouldn't have any problem with them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies boys.

I have plans for support systems in the socks...many of my friends do lawn irrigation, and the extra hose they have should work great.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
BeekBuster said:
WingedShooter7 said:
bluebird said:
If you have the time to make the socks you can do it for fairly cheap.
How does one do that?
Im sure if you research the site enough you will find out how...
Really? Look how many posts I have, I think I'm on here enough to know that. The instructions didn't entail what type of tyvek to buy, I got the info I needed in the Bait Pile.

Going to make them out of house wrap, am making around 200 homemade silhouettes

·
Registered
950 Posts
WS7 Do a search on the net and look for soft structure tyvek. House wrap is cheaper but noisy as hell. If you make a couple hundred house wrap decoys in a stiff wind I think the noise of the tyvek would be heard over an E-caller. Material Concepts is one site that offers soft structure Tyvek.
Just looked at the site. 60"x10 yards is $59.00 plus shipping. I don't know how many decoys you could get out of this. Maybe someone else could answer that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You dont need a liner bag use a plastic grocery sack its made out of the same material that the liner bag is made from. Thats all I used, there free and work just as good as you can see from the pic inside my house no wind and still fluffed out. The Tyvek you use for decoys is 1443R Its more like material than plastic.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
They still fluff out because it is a new decoy.. Once it softens up more it will be a diffrent story. With a standard bag used from a grocery store it wont puff out under no wind situations. The liner bags from sillo sock are 20 cents a piece and are worth the investment in the long run. The sillo sock bags are thicker and puff out better when shaked.. but i dont know I only hunt snow geese 30 or 40 times a year and have 1200 sillo socks, but do what you want..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts