North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Obezamatt said:
Remington 770 Rifle is a great gun I have two. Made in USA. Better then benelli IMO. I have friends that shoot higher priced guns and its funny to listen to them complain when they don't work properly. With the money you save you can get decoys or shells.
so your rifle is better than your buddies shot gun. Seems like a legit comparison. wtf

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 770 .308 and was surprised by the quality of it. I own a 700 and bought the 770 as a gift, but due to circumstances, I ended up keeping it. It stacks up pretty well against the 700. Especially for only $269.00 new at Walmart. At 300 yds both were in a 3 in. grouping pattern dead center. At 500+ yds not performed at pretty much the same rate. I was very surprised, especially with all the bashing people love to give this gun. After about 100 RDS I believe I enjoy it as much as the 700. Only issues are the lack of aftermarket parts and the scope is a 5 outta 10. The claim that it is bore sighted and ready to go new in box was false, I had to adjust quite a bit at the start. Would also like a bigger magazine but it's a hunting rifle foremost, so that's not too big a deal. I would recommend it any day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lets get somethings straight...1) yes the shooter makes the rifle,mostly 2)snipers are highly trained and shoot the same rifle over and over 3)sniper's loads are custom, not off-shelf rounds. if a sniper uses a 165gr. .300wm, he ALWAYS uses that weight and is issued by the gov. 4) on this site there may be <1% of 1% of the people here could ever qualify as sniper and thats just the shooting (MOA) at range. i hear people talkin MOA, MOA...well, MOA is not some magical initial, a MOA is approx. 1.047 inches at 100m. So, if you shoot at 500m , your MOA accuracy(spread) is 5 times your 100m spread, unless of course you correct for distance, and that is your spread. Thats why we have elevation and windage adjustments, to keep our grouping close using the MOA method. Rifles DO NOT shoot in MOAs, marksmen do. My scope, because MOA is a function of distance and arc or circumference of a circle, in other words, curvature of the earth(its round) has 14 reticles that allow me to estimate range if i know height of target...assume 2 meters for a human target. Doing a little math with my scope i can tell you range....adjust elevation or windage...one click at 100m = .25inches...so, to correct for 1MOA at 100m i need 4 clicks at that range and the MOA adjustments change as distance increases. No rifle knows what an MOA is, the shooter does. You go and spend $1000 for a good 700 series and drag it thru rain and muck with its close tolerances. It will break or need extensive cleaning. In addition, the 700s that are true sniper rifles are heavy barrels and highly modified. I bought a 770 .300 WIN MAG with my low light 14 reticle, 1000m scope...laser bored zero, bi-pod, picatinny rail, all black polymer.{ I dont know how, but if it's cheap, it's made with the heaviest cheap parts i ever felt in a rifle, almost 3 times the weight of my M4 with lights and dual magazines.} Total cost around $450. at 250yards 0.5MOA grouping, including first cold bore shot(which was out farther than the other rounds). This MOA accuracy was expected since the bullet drop of this particular Hornady round(156gr. balistic tip boat-tail) is zero at 250yards...something many of you seem to forget. BALISTICS!! All snipers live balistics especially concerning the round they shoot...temp, humidity, barometric pressure, wind drift, bullet drop, even geographical location(bullet drop varies very slightly depending where you are relative to the equator). NO ONE here seems to mention these things. At 500m 1.5MOA is acheived consistantly with my 770. I do believe the 700 is proven because of its age..been around for a while. But it's not required to shoot long range accurately. One last thing...even though i do not have a heavy/bull barrel...i can put 24 rounds through it in 30 seconds..that first 3 in mag. and single load after...so the bolt action cant be too bad. Even at this rate of fire it still kept nearly 1.5MOA grouping at 250 yards. Excellent for a light barrel. The 770 is only as good as the shooter as is any other rifle. Thank you for your attention.
Master Sgt. Purifoy
Shooter for 25 years.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts