North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
While the 770 will undoubtably do a lot, they are an economy line rifle.

Chuck Hawk summed it up best IMO with this quote about the current crop of "economy rifles".

"A person who has never owned a fine rifle is much more likely to be tolerant of an economy rifle's shortcomings than an experienced shooter and hunter. The relative newcomer simply has inadequate personal experience upon which to base an informed opinion."

·
Registered
197 Posts
So, you would rather shoot a 770 than a 700? Hell, I bet you could shoot 30 rounds in 30 seconds with a 700! :D If you are such a decorated shooter then you should be able to determine quality in a firearm. If so, you would have noticed that the 700 action and all components were of higher quality than the 770. Why didn't you just spend a couple extra bucks and get the 700?

My opinion has not changed on the 770.........trotline weight!

·
Registered
197 Posts
southdakbearfan said:
While the 770 will undoubtably do a lot, they are an economy line rifle.

Chuck Hawk summed it up best IMO with this quote about the current crop of "economy rifles".

"A person who has never owned a fine rifle is much more likely to be tolerant of an economy rifle's shortcomings than an experienced shooter and hunter. The relative newcomer simply has inadequate personal experience upon which to base an informed opinion."
:beer: Well said!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
pharmdshooter said:
lets get somethings straight...1) yes the shooter makes the rifle,mostly 2)snipers are highly trained and shoot the same rifle over and over 3)sniper's loads are custom, not off-shelf rounds. if a sniper uses a 165gr. .300wm, he ALWAYS uses that weight and is issued by the gov. 4) on this site there may be <1% of 1% of the people here could ever qualify as sniper and thats just the shooting (MOA) at range. i hear people talkin MOA, MOA...well, MOA is not some magical initial, a MOA is approx. 1.047 inches at 100m. So, if you shoot at 500m , your MOA accuracy(spread) is 5 times your 100m spread, unless of course you correct for distance, and that is your spread. Thats why we have elevation and windage adjustments, to keep our grouping close using the MOA method. Rifles DO NOT shoot in MOAs, marksmen do. My scope, because MOA is a function of distance and arc or circumference of a circle, in other words, curvature of the earth(its round) has 14 reticles that allow me to estimate range if i know height of target...assume 2 meters for a human target. Doing a little math with my scope i can tell you range....adjust elevation or windage...one click at 100m = .25inches...so, to correct for 1MOA at 100m i need 4 clicks at that range and the MOA adjustments change as distance increases. No rifle knows what an MOA is, the shooter does. You go and spend $1000 for a good 700 series and drag it thru rain and muck with its close tolerances. It will break or need extensive cleaning. In addition, the 700s that are true sniper rifles are heavy barrels and highly modified. I bought a 770 .300 WIN MAG with my low light 14 reticle, 1000m scope...laser bored zero, bi-pod, picatinny rail, all black polymer.{ I dont know how, but if it's cheap, it's made with the heaviest cheap parts i ever felt in a rifle, almost 3 times the weight of my M4 with lights and dual magazines.} Total cost around $450. at 250yards 0.5MOA grouping, including first cold bore shot(which was out farther than the other rounds). This MOA accuracy was expected since the bullet drop of this particular Hornady round(156gr. balistic tip boat-tail) is zero at 250yards...something many of you seem to forget. BALISTICS!! All snipers live balistics especially concerning the round they shoot...temp, humidity, barometric pressure, wind drift, bullet drop, even geographical location(bullet drop varies very slightly depending where you are relative to the equator). NO ONE here seems to mention these things. At 500m 1.5MOA is acheived consistantly with my 770. I do believe the 700 is proven because of its age..been around for a while. But it's not required to shoot long range accurately. One last thing...even though i do not have a heavy/bull barrel...i can put 24 rounds through it in 30 seconds..that first 3 in mag. and single load after...so the bolt action cant be too bad. Even at this rate of fire it still kept nearly 1.5MOA grouping at 250 yards. Excellent for a light barrel. The 770 is only as good as the shooter as is any other rifle. Thank you for your attention.
Master Sgt. Purifoy
Shooter for 25 years.
that is 1.25 seconds for each one of the shots. that is f in incredible that you can shoot the first three and then take the other 21 and not loose your line of sight and load each one aim and shoot all in 1.25 seconds i have to see the video of this amazing things that you speak off. Not doubting just want to see it so i can learn from it. Also if we are going to mention variables what about spin drift and the coreolas(sp) effect on the bullet. At 250 yards i would be they both have a big effect on them. If you think that a stock 700 has tight tollerances you have never had a custom gun that is the highly modified ones that you speak of they have much tighter tolerance than any stock gun does and they seem to function after being drug through the sh!t. And if you shoot a 1 moa group at 100 yards it does not just calculate out to 5 min a at 500 yards there is a little more than that. bullet drop does not matter how close you are to the equator it matters how high you are in elevation as the air is less dense at 7000 feet above sea level than it is at 3000' above sea level. the coreolas it what is effected from which side you are on the equator. If you can shoot like that there is alot of money for you to win in competion so if you are not entering and winning already you are missing out on some cash. As for the round you were shooting could you point out which caliber you found a 156 grain bullet for as i see the amax or the sst or the interbonds are offered in that grain of bullet the only thing i can figure out is that you have mixed the numbers and thought of the 165 but those are in the sst or the interbond. Try the 168 amax will work much better when you really want to stretch it out a bit as they dont start to key hole like the 168 smks. how much does that thing weigh if it is more than the m4 with all the gear on it has to be about 15 pounds with out a heavy bbl you must have alot of stuff on the super 770. Dont come on here and make claims that are so foolish that any one would take it seriously. here is some reading on the ballistics that you speak of. go to the top of the page on the second link to view the video

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... t=3&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost1668266

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I bought my 700 in 243 in 1973, it has well over 10000 rounds thru it mostly reloads. I bought my 700 in 308 in 1974 it also has well over 10000 round thru it and they were all reloads. I bought my 700 in 7mm08 1998 and find it lazy as it has only shot about 800 rounds of reloads. I bought my 700 in 300 winny mag in 1999, it was used so I can't say before me but I have only put about 500 rounds thru it. One thing I have adjusted all the factory triggers to 2.5 pounds, All the bolts are as slick as silk.
Lots of custom gun builders use the 700 action haven't heard of one built with a 770 or 710 action.

:D Al

·
Registered
85 Posts
My brother has a 770 and it has the worst action I have ever felt and averages two inch groups. It works for him because he shoots about 20 rounds a year. If you shoot more than that go with something else. Even then there are far better options for the price of a 770.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my remington 770 for a while now and think for the price its a good gun. At 200 yards i can shoot a nice group and if you wanting a good deer rifle i think it is well worth the money. It might be not be the top of the line but I would recomend it to anyone. I have always been a huge remington fan and I dont care what people think but remington would not put there name on something that was a peice of ****.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
JonColson said:
I have had my remington 770 for a while now and think for the price its a good gun. At 200 yards i can shoot a nice group and if you wanting a good deer rifle i think it is well worth the money. It might be not be the top of the line but I would recomend it to anyone. I have always been a huge remington fan and I dont care what people think but remington would not put there name on something that was a peice of &$#*.
It definately wouldn't be the first time they put their name behind junk. Almost every manufacturer has. The top of the list recently would be the Rem 887, 710 and yes, the 770. All junk.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Let's also not for get the muzzle loader some one else made and they put their name on it. It was the genises of course, with the torch cam making it miserable to mount a scoupe on.

:D Al

·
Registered
1 Posts
For anyone with a 770 that can't group their shots for [email protected]*t, try chambering a round from the clip then without firing, remove it and check the tip. My 770 chambered in .270 was notching the bullet like crazy from it hitting the corner of the beginning of the barrel and my accuracy was ridiculous off. I thought it was the scope too. So far, sent to remington twice and it still does it. The notch is smaller but still yet, a notch in the tip of the bullet is going to cause untrue flight... I'm very unhappy with remington.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one of these in .300 Win mag. JUNK.
Long story short, first 5 shots, 5 different broken stock parts. After a nightmare of getting the stock replaced through Bass Pro, I talked with Remington directly and they discontinued making the stocks. I was also told I could NOT use a bipod with this gun. What?? What gun can't use a bipod? A CHEAP PIECE OF CRAP one.
Ended up getting a stock for, I think, a 700 series. Haven't fired it since getting the new stock, keeping my fingers crossed....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Both my friend and I bought a 770 in 300 Win. Mag and another friend bought one in .308 last year. The scope mine came with was a piece of junk, very blurry. I put a Leupold 3x9 I had on my rifle but both my friends supplied scopes were useable. Rifle is a bit heavy, but the main issue is the bolt action. It is very sloppy and not smooth. Both .300 Mag rifles are the same; if you don't pull and then push the bolt exactly straight back and forth, it can bind and you might not get the next round to chamber. I have a Howa rifle in .308 and the action is smooth as butter. I have read that the bolt handle sometimes breaks, but we have not had that problem yet. Anyone know if Remington is doing any thing about the bolts on these guns? It doesn't shoot too badly, but I wouldn't call it a tack driver. Not bad for the money I guess. I'm going to shoot it a bit more after I try to float the barrel if possible. Wish I bought it in .270 as the .300 Mag. load is a monster to shoot.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
the old saying you get what you pay for applys here. I am a rem guy but embaressed by that piece of **** they put out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yall are quick to judge a gun that is for a lack of better words a virgin to the shooting world i currently posses the remington model 770 .308 and have personally found it to be a very reliable easy to clean and extremely durable gun. The point that the stock scope is not the best by any means but i would like to point out the "straight out of the box accuracy" is incredible my 770 has put out over 1000 rounds easy as i am a hunter and fur is my living. But not to go to crazy with talking here final verdict on the 770 good gun all around. and as far as having the resistance to alot of weather dirt snow i am extremely impressed i droped mine in a mud puddle retrieved it and withing ten min made a 350 yard shot on a coyote and gun did exactly what it was built to do

·
Administrator
19,810 Posts
i can put 24 rounds through it in 30 seconds.
I like to hit them on the first shot. :rollin:

I don't know what caliber your shooting, but 24 rounds in 30 seconds means that rifle isn't going to be worth much in a short while. It's a good thing to shoot cheap rifles if that's the way you use them.

Your right that we don't talk much about coriolis or magnus affect here. I use Strelock most of the time because it's faster. However, I also downloaded Shooter on my Droid because it does have entry for latitude and azimuth. It's also more than shooting left or right at any given latitude. If you shoot to 1000 yards try this. Shoot three shots to your west, then turn and with no adjustment shoot three shots to your east. Your bullet if fast, but the earth does rotate at well lets see it's circumference is 25,000 miles so it has to make that turn in 24 hours which means more than 1000 mph. Since the earth is turning towards the east your target to the west rises, and your target to the east is dropping away. The circumference at the equator is larger than the circumference here in Jamestown at about 46 degrees so there is less affect here. I read an article by a physicist on Vancouver Island at 50 degrees and he estimated 3.4 inches affect from coriolis. I'm not going to buy the whole thing until it warms up and I can try for myself. It all makes sense though.

Sometimes people will talk about the north to south component of coriolis, sometimes they will talk about the east west component, but they don't always talk about both. So keep in mind that the latitude and the azimuth are both important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDQeKAy ... re=related

http://www.meyersix.org/the_mysterious_ ... effect.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington 770 Rifle is a great gun I have two. Made in USA. Better then benelli IMO. I have friends that shoot higher priced guns and its funny to listen to them complain when they don't work properly. With the money you save you can get decoys or shells.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts